2003 Acura CL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:
11 years and counting
By bill2003cl on 11/08/13 21:56 PM (PST)

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

My CD player just died and I had to consider whether to pat $400 to have it fixed or possibly getting a new car and going with getting the CD fixed. After 11 years and 150,000 miles, it's showing its age externally, but it still drives great. I just had the manual transmission fluid changed for the first time. With no radio for a couple of weeks I could appreciate how great the engine purrs. If you can find a used one with a manual, I would recommend it. It sounds like it should be good for another 100,000 miles and only an Audi or a BMW might seem like an improvement.

Great blend of touring comfort and performance in a mid priced coupe
By jimmbbo on 04/02/11 19:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Bought the car new after having had Honda Acuras and Preludes for a decade, and I wanted to move up. Was struck immediately by its spirited performance, good handling and comfort for long drives. The styling is refined and understated, but clearly not head turning. Interior is well finished, and mechanically the car has been excellent. Straight line acceleration is faster than it feels, and it's a blast to drive in the curves. The manual six speed is smooth, and perfectly matched to the engine and car... RECOMMENDED!

You want quick and reliable? Start here
By airplane nerd on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

By a large margin, the best car I've owned in more than a half-century on the road. Impressive response to throttle inputs, smooth shifts, excellent torque, even in 5th gear, pretty decent mileage (22 with a lot of stop-and-go 25-mi commutes into DC and back). Virtually no shop time other than for reg maintenance, brakes went 60K before replacement. Finish holding up very well despite outside parking at home. The kid wants to know when I'll be too old to drive it so she can have it, even tho she's not sure why there are three pedals. When they pry my cold, dead fingers from the shift knob, that's when. Or when Acura builds me a suitable and acceptable successor.

Great Car
By Happy Driver on 04/27/10 11:58 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car new. After 140K I still love it. One repair (about a month ago) other than normal maintenance. Fast (enough), quiet, comfortable, reasonable mileage for this type of car. Build quality is excellant. Styling still looks good. If they still made them I'd buy another in a skinny minute. I do NOT like the newest generation TL even though the mechanicals are pretty much the same. If you're looking for a great used car, the CL-S should be on your list. You'll have to get another one though, I'm keeping mine!

Not bad for price
By Daniel on 03/14/10 21:07 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Ive owned this car for about 4 months and am enjoying. I use to own a 01 Altima so I consider this a real upgrade. Although I love this car I have had quite a few problems with it in just these 4 months of ownership. I have already had to replace the transmission and starter. I have an exhaust leak so my check engine light is always on. Acura says it will take time to find the leak ($105 an hour just to diagnose and see where the leak is coming from). The 2003 automatic CLs are also known for transmission problems. Luckily mine was 2 months away from the warranty expiring so I did not have to pay a cent. Other then those things I am pleased with this car and would recommend for the price.

nicest car we've ever owned
By coopinde on 02/26/10 07:12 AM (PST)

2003 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Our daughters were off to college so we didn't need our 1993 Roadmaster Estate Wagon with 240k mi it earned a rest. Found and purchased a one owner used Acura CL with 68k mi for $9500. Transmission mis shifted 94K mi. Honda replaced with new 5 speed auto - free of charge. Turns out that first owner had transmission serviced but not with Honda Z1 ATF, Car gets almost 26 MPG on regular gas. Excellent power and stable handling predictable steering. GM has miles to go to get close to this car. I will buy Acuras from now on. I most highly recommend this car.

Great used car
By rjuarez on 12/29/09 12:25 PM (PST)

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my 2003 Acura CL Type-S (around 81k miles now) for about 2 years now and I've loved it. The torque is great, it's a smooth ride on a good looking car, and with an Acura you know you're getting a reliable ride. The only problem I've had so far was with the front left ballast (part of the headlight unit) which was decently expensive to replace, but I bought the part off of ebay and did it myself. Other than that, car has been a dream to maintain.

6sp Manual type S
By tom on 05/11/09 21:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Incredibly fun car to own and drive. Beautiful and high quality interior, especially considering the price. Seats grip your sides and hold you in during hard turns. Smooth and quick shifting 6 speed manual. This car is fast too.

An enjoyable drive.
By EdsonDJ on 06/17/08 00:24 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased brand new on May 2003, with 45 miles on it. It has been babied. Till this day, I enjoy everytime I drive it. It can handle most corners with its stiff suspension, and can get up to freeway speeds with ease. I liked the interior and thought it was the best in class during its time. I also liked the revised exterior styling for 2003, making it look more aggressive. However, there are some drawbacks. My transmission failed at 32K miles, which is a common problem with the automatic. I also started to hear squeaks and rattles after 2 years of owning the car. And the stock rotors warp too quickly causing steering wheel vibration. Still love the car though.

My ride
By My ride on 05/13/08 08:12 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Type S for a little over a year now. I love the sound of the engine. This is my second car in my lifetime the first one was an Acura Legend. They know how to make cars.