2002 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Acura Cl - Consumer Reviews

2002 CL Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Sort Reviews by

Great car
By withone

2002 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great interior, enjoy the ride, great gas mileage average 24 mpg and I have a heavy foot. Previous cars: 98 xj8, 97 prelude,94 civic ex coupe, 84 crx, 82 firebird. Honda products by far the best.

Favorite Features

Power and good gas mileage. ac so cold have to turn it down.

Awesome car.
By PB

2002 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Although used at 68000 when I purchased it, the car was immaculate in and out. It runs well but might need new springs,struts. Also the navagation system needed upgrading. That aside, the car is a dream to own and drive. Love it.

Favorite Features

Everything is great. But then it's an Acura, right?

Suggested Improvements

Well, for me the ride is a bit bumpy. So may need springs and or struts. Nothing else I can think of.

Never Again.
By austexdesigner

2002 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My 2002 Acura 3.2 CL S-type has eaten its second transmission and it has only 58K on it. The first one went out at 38K. All Acura seems to be doing with this "recall" is replacing the transmission with a new one of the same faulty part. I know two other people who have had at least 2 transmissions in this same year/make of car. For any new car, this is just unforgiveably lousy reliability and quality. (especially for the price range that this car was in as a new car.) I will never buy another Acura product again after this experience.

Favorite Features

The engine is powerful and smooth, very comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

Don't replace a poorly designed part that is broken . . . with the same poorly designed part and call that a "fix." perhaps more thoroughly test such a major car part before unleashing it on the market. There are year models after this that have transmission issues, too.

Great car!!!
By Fighter

2002 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I had pontiac GTO 2004 before this car. What a mistake. I love my CL-S. Great engine, seamless interior, classic exterior forms. HID, heated seats. I love this car. I got it for 18K with 20K miles only.

Favorite Features

260HP, HID, heated seats, CD changer

Suggested Improvements

More head room, I'm 6'2" and need about 1 inch more:-)

TYPE S
By JAMES THURSTON

2002 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

GREAT ALL-AROUND CAR.VERY RELIABLE,THE ONE FEATURE THAT IS A BOTHER IS THE FRONT SEAT BELT SYSTEM WHICH DO NOT ALLWAYS RETRACT AND GET CAUGHT IN THE DOOR WHEN THE DOOR IS CLOSED.

Favorite Features

RELIABLE,FAST AND CORNERS VERY WELL

Suggested Improvements

SEAT BELTS,TURNING RADIUS AND PAINT QUALITY

Acura CL
By perantoni00

Best car I've ever owned

Favorite Features

Fun to drive and the best navigation system on the market

Suggested Improvements

none

By Kevin C.

2002 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've had the car for a little over 2 years now and have mostly had a great experience for the entire 66K miles. Transmission went about 6K ago and was replaced as it is a recall item. I expect everyone will have this issue at one time or another so plan on it. (It did make it to my dealer 60 Mi. away though, avoiding the tow). Ride and accelleration are great as is the interior confort and features.

Favorite Features

Great acceleration and very confortable seats. Tight steering as a performance car should have.

Suggested Improvements

Only one type of tire which many places will install. Should be able to choose brands not be stuck with the factory Michelin's. Transmission recall should be at buyer's leisure not after a breakdown.

I love this car
By jhslaw

2002 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I am a sports car person. I have had English sports cars, GM muscle cars, Nissan Z's, Supra's, etc. This is the best of the bunch for all around driving. The handling isn't as good as a rwd car, but I expected that. The pure power and comfort are astounding, both to me (57 year old male) and my son (22). You can drive this for 300+ miles straight and climb out without any fatigue. I have heard about transmission problems with early production versions (primarily 2001), but I have had no problems, of any kind, with any part of this car. It is a shame the model was discontinued, I would buy another. The new TL is on my short list at new car time.

Favorite Features

The motor is unbelievable, silent at low speed and rocket propulsion, with no turbo lag, when you put your foot in it. The interior is extremely attractive and comfortable. The rear seat is even usable for short people.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior styling is bland.

LOVE THIS CAR!!!
By CLYDE

22000 THOUSAND GREAT MILES AND STILL LOVE THIS CAR

Favorite Features

HID HEADLAMOS, 6 DISC CD CHANGER LEATHER... SHOULD i GO ON

Suggested Improvements

HOW ABOUT A COMPASS

Do not BUY, all used are lemons
By CL/TL Lemon

2002 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has had three transmissions, warped brakes, malfunction navigation, interior rattles, and cheap leather.Quality is a serious problem, and Acura is not helpful.It still has problems and Acura has stopped talking to me.Atty Swann and 4000.00 later I parked the car.Dealership even dropped it off the lift last time.Car has been torn apart so many times the car feels stretched.They know they have a problem, NTHSA did an investigation and found the transmissions faulty, oh and Acura discontinued the line, CL and TL.Honda isn't what it used to be.My 2000 Ram Air gave me no problems, American cars have indeed come a long way.

Favorite Features

Motor is nice

Suggested Improvements

Acura needs to address the problem and return customers phone calls.Atty Swann had to be hired because Karl (client svcs)never called me back.They need to buy back these lemons.Everyone I talk to says they've had at least one transmission.