2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S - Consumer Reviews

3.2 Type-S 3.2L V6 5-speed Automatic - (92 reviews )
Great Car!
By FreddieG on 05/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great car all around. Smooth engine and transmission. Simply elegant styling. Great finish!

2001 CL Type S - The perfect car
By CLTypeSmacura on 05/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 98 Acura and was sure I'd never buy another Acura. That was until I saw the totally redesigned CL (2001 model). As soon as I saw it, I knew I'd have to buy it. After I drove it, there was no chance i'd pass on this car. It handles amazingly, it's incredibly fast and the price was perfect. I got all the features my friends had to pay close to $50K for in their BMW's and Mercedes. Only I had enough money left over to be able to afford flooring my car to blow them away. I love my Acura. I can't part with it.

Best buy for the money
By Ampher on 04/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car for three years. Overall a great car. The sunroof has a fluttering noise the dealer has never been able to fix. The sunroof doesn't open very far. But the sunroof being my only complaint, must be a great car!

Nuts and Bolts only
By kcfox on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Why is the TL considered a gem yet the CL is only adequate. It is every bit as good as the TL. Smooth, sporty and luxury best define this auto. The v-6 is not for the timid.

New Transmission for 2004 CL's
By masm07 on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

It is a fact that Acura has identified and stands behind their warranty on the sportshift but if their goal is to compete with BMW's 3 Series they need to engineer a transmission that will withstand the 260 horses that the CL Type S produces. Yes, it can be a fun car but my tranny went out at 29,000 miles, so what if you get new one...if this is such a great car then why not build one designed for engine. Thumbs down on the tranny, I am disappointed with this vehicle and will think long and hard before I purchase another Acura product. I hope there are some Acura engineers reading this review. That is why BMW 3 series still leads the pack.

Performance and Luxury and no compromise
By Purnell on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great acceleration,ultra smooth 260 horsepower engine, excellent navigation system, very impressive handling in spite of front wheel drive setup, fuel economy is good especially considering power output of motor, very quite cabin loads of features traction control, vechile stability assist, front and side airbags an all around exceptional value

Great Value, but you get what you pay 4
By BrianV on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car new with navigation. Front seats are sporty but get uncomfortable after long trips. Back seat has lots of legroom but the seats aren't comfortable at all. Exhaust note is nice. Bose stereo is pretty bad for a Bose (no highs, no lows, it must be Bose really is true here). 5spd gearing is good, but the actual transmission is quite bad. It doesn't shift smootly at all, and there is major lags on the manumatic mode. Interior build quality needs attention, this thing rattles and it wasn't even a year old.

Refined Quality with a little Zip
By teton_jumper on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The Type S is a beautifully constructed vehicle that exudes quality. The 260 HP gives the CL good punch, whether from a dead stop or while passing. I have owned several Mercedes and this vehicle is comparable as a road cruiser, but doesn't quite achieve the German road feel. The handling is a bit heavy, as would be expected from a front-driver. Overall, a comfortable and competent performer.

Best Car for power driver
By Shahram on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I love my CL type S. It is fast and it is powerful. Much better than BMW, Mercedez, Audi, for the price you pay. love the navigation system. Its much better than BMW's navigation system.

Big Bang for the Buck
By t_dub on 12/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Offers more car for the money. So many standard features make this car a bargain. The 260hp engine is supreme. Punch the accelerator and the car responds with a rush. Hard cornering and braking are less impressive...BMW 330ci holds the trophy. Not a bad car to look at, but appears bland when next to the Bimmer. Excellent car for driving around town and on the open road! I've had some problems with rattles that can't seem to be fixed. The wheels are prone to be easily scratched.