Used 2001 Acura CL Consumer Reviews - 119 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura CL - Consumer Reviews

2001 Acura CL

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Class and performance at a fair price
By ChicagoJay

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I got into this car used, with 45,000 miles after owning a custom-ordered '99 Grand Prix GTX (GTP w/ SLP upgrades). I have to say, 3 years later, the Acura has definitely held its value better than my Grand Prix did. It also performed comparably, but is much quieter. The interior is what really sets the Acura apart. Good leather, wood grain plastic, hooks to keep the foot mats in place (the Grand Prix required after-market mats because the factory ones were useless). To top it all off, my Acura was assembled in Toledo, OH whereas my Grand Prix was put together in Canada. The Acura is a bit heavier than the Grand Prix, so it doesn't corner as well, and it's not as fast off the start.

Defintely the nav system! I don't think I'll ever own a car without one from now on! The VTEC rocks too.

The CL is discontinued, so this doesn't really apply. But the gadgets in my '01 Acura were a good 5 years behind the gadgets my '99 Grand Prix had. This may be intentional, as Honda makes sure everything is well tested before it ships. But I was disappointed with the layout of the audio controls.

4 1/2 years and still going
By Wilbur

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned several Hondas as well as a previous Acura Integra, so I had no reservations about purchasing my CL Type S. I had the transmission issue that we've all had, but Acura backed it up without issue. I have since only had a seat belt issue, again under warranty, and have only gone through 1 set of tires and a battery. The reliability I expect from an Acura. My fiancee has a Mercedes C230 coupe which she has driven 10K miles and we're already considering selling it and keeping the CL until we drive it into the ground. It was a great buy 4 1/2 years ago and is still a great buy as a pre-owned car.

Engine, power options

Well the car isn't made anymore, but I'm not a big fan of the manumatic transmission... if you really want to change your own gears, get the 6 speed manual. Wheels do scratch and bend a little to easily.

Best buy we ever made in a used car
By Myrtle Young

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle used from a private party using Edmunds guide. It was in impeccable shape and has held it's value. Would recommend this vehicle to anyone although there has been one major expense to date, a power inverter for the headlights. It handles so well and has been a joy to own.

Feel of the seats and how it holds the raod.

acura cl s-type
By acuraowner

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

purchased a certified preowned CL, Acura stands by their warranty BUT too many trips to the service dept.; car rides smoothly, great on gas but constant engine light problems; transmission had to be replaced soon after i purchased but dealer covered costs - car was in dealership for 3 weeks!!! tire rims do scratch easily; paint job is poor; side airbag lights keep coming on, dealership says its nothing; maintenance cost not too bad; rear passenger seats only for 2; bose system is weak; cd's get stuck in changer; DEFINITELY KEEP YOUR RADIO CODE unless you want your radio replaced if car batttery dies and you need a jumpstart! hope it will trade-in fairly.

large trunk space; comfy seats; great gas mileage; heated seats; a/c cools quickly; low cost maintenance; smooth ride.

reliable transmission; better paint job; improve seatbelts; better quality interior material ie, woodgrain material in console; gas cap chain; better sound system; auto door lock when on Drive; better Acura roadside service!

Upscale Honda is a winner
By Bill

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've been a huge fan of Hondas for years, so my review is biased, but few if any automaker builds a better engine. This Acura is just as reliable as any of the five Hondas I've owned, but it has a true luxury car feel. The handling is a bit heavy; the car loves to plow into corners but that was fixed with thicker aftermarket sway bars. Aside from a few nagging interior rattles, the build quality is excellent. The car is both a luxury cruiser and a flat out fun car to drive.

The engine. The interior.

Better paint finish. Better auto transmission.