Used 2001 Acura CL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura CL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Got to get past the transmission issue
By tboneh

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

If you can get past the transmission issue this is a great car to drive daily. It is comfortable, quiet, and has the best of both worlds, power and good gas mileage. On a recent trip I drove from south Ga. to Delray Beach Fla. on one tank. I averaged 80 mph and 29 mpg. The ride is firm enough to make handling very good. I did have the trans. replaced at 53K and plan to change fluid in pan every 10K. I hope that will help. I was told that Honda has made several improvements to try to make the replacement transmissions better. It's a shame that tramsmissions are a issue because the rest of the car is rock solid.

Gas mileage, handling and comfort.

Ahhh, let me think. Oh yea, the transmission issues.

CL-S - Great to me
By cl in mn

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my CL-S w/Nav early (May 00) - and enjoyed having a car that wasn't too common,yet a real sleeper in performance (can run with some fast cars). I never had the transmission replaced that seemed so common - but watching it close (Acura stepped up and extended warr for all to 7 yrs/100K - a stand-up thing to do for a car company). The rest of the car's quality has been great - literally nothing has gone wrong. Had a squeaky sunroof and rear cargo lid - but both were fixed early in the car's life. I still ENJOY driving this car 6 1/2 years later.

The VTEC is great - the sound is fabulous north of 3700 RPM and the mileage is great if you stay off the pedal. I like this Nav system (circa 2000) better than most cars I've driven, including a Pioneer AVIC system I have in another car (big $$, 2005 tech.).

The rims are prone to scratching if you rub a curb. Acura should have launched this car with a 6 spd manual right away - might have helped it last longer.

2001 CL-S Review
By txengineer

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car from a co-worker who bought it new. It had 41,000 miles when I purchased it three short years ago. The transmission had been replaced under warranty by the original owner, but not the control computer. After having the computer replaced at 85,000 miles, the second transmission started to have issues. Back to the dealer for another transmission and matched computer. They even threw a set of motor mounts in for free. Now at 135K the tranny is starting to shift ruff. We'll see. Otherwise, the car runs great with a bad squeak from the back package tray (solved with a piece of electrical tape wedged between the glass and the 3rd brake light tray.

VTEC is awesome. The sound of this engine is rivaled only by a high end German or Italian sports car. The acoustic engineers really got this one right. Seats are very supportive. Mileage is great on the highway (29-30 mpg). Tire wear is good at 50K per set.

Better transmission. Drop the semi- automatic. It is too slow to react to be any fun. The passenger side mirror tilting down when backing up is cool for the first 50 times and then is annying, so it gets turned off. I'd keep the car longer, but need something that will carry 5.

Almost Perfect
By Jake

2001 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I love my 3.2 CL. I would have liked the power of the type-S but prefer the understated base model. Small things have been irritating like no switch for the foglamps which look like 40 watt lightbulbs next to the awesome HID headlamps. The door mounted arm rests have started to separate slowly. The transmission was replaced because I mentioned it wasn't shifting as smoothly as it used to. As a precaution and probably to drum up some business, the service department went ahead and replaced it.

The styling, performance, and standard features. Five years old and its still a fresh desing. Much more creative than Acura's recent offerings. Interior is great.

Switch for the foglamps, counter on the CD changer, stability control on the base model would have been nice too.

Class and performance at a fair price
By ChicagoJay

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I got into this car used, with 45,000 miles after owning a custom-ordered '99 Grand Prix GTX (GTP w/ SLP upgrades). I have to say, 3 years later, the Acura has definitely held its value better than my Grand Prix did. It also performed comparably, but is much quieter. The interior is what really sets the Acura apart. Good leather, wood grain plastic, hooks to keep the foot mats in place (the Grand Prix required after-market mats because the factory ones were useless). To top it all off, my Acura was assembled in Toledo, OH whereas my Grand Prix was put together in Canada. The Acura is a bit heavier than the Grand Prix, so it doesn't corner as well, and it's not as fast off the start.

Defintely the nav system! I don't think I'll ever own a car without one from now on! The VTEC rocks too.

The CL is discontinued, so this doesn't really apply. But the gadgets in my '01 Acura were a good 5 years behind the gadgets my '99 Grand Prix had. This may be intentional, as Honda makes sure everything is well tested before it ships. But I was disappointed with the layout of the audio controls.