Used 2001 Acura CL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura Cl - Consumer Reviews

2001 Acura CL

View reviews for a specific CL model:

For My Money-Unbeatable
By Paul

2001 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Acura may not have won over the hardcore luxury sports car owners, but this car is amazing for the price. You're given a standard 3.2 liter with 225 horsepower and I get about 24 mpg average. On the highway it can reach 30 mpg. The car is already loaded (no options): 6 disc CD changer, heated seats, dual power seats, TCS, 4 wheel ABS disc brakes, auto-manual 5 speed trans., auto climate control, power sunroof. All this for under $33k. The 225 horsepower engine delivers a brilliant tone and is pretty quick. The styling is a large improvement from the older model as well. The interior is so easy to navigate too. The seats are comfortable and leather clad.

Favorite Features

Ease of use, the engine power and exhaust note, all the standard features, price, roomy for a two door

Suggested Improvements

If the car were to be brought back I'd make it a RWD to really be a luxury sports car and add a paddle shifter gear box, steering and suspension are very sloppy and loose too, stiffen shocks and change steering to rack and pinion.

No (Major) Complaints
By cat

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great car all around. Had problems with initial transmission, but Acura happily replaced it. (It helps that I had bought the extended warranty.) Everyone I know loves my car (and most of them are jealous of me for driving it...oh well, that's their problem!).

Favorite Features

Styling, stereo system, large trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Better seat belt system.

I'm Still Driving It
By id03557

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

After 103,000 miles it seems like it will go another 100,000 no problem. It gets 30 mpg hwy and has only one problem; the tranny which Acura replaced under warranty at 63,000. It is quick, handles well and I have only put one set of tires on it at 65,000. My biggest complaint is that it picks up a lot of road noise... RRRRRRR. Otherwise it handles well, is faster than 98% of cars out there, and just keeps on keeping on. Heck it still has the original battery. I wish I could buy another one, but Acura, in its wisdom (?) doesn't offer a sporty coupe anymore.

Favorite Features

Motorized seat function. Polished aluminum rims that don't rust. Everyone still thinks it is new

Suggested Improvements

Quiet the road noise. Fix the rims that bulge out further than the tire sidewalls which means they pick up scrapes if you aren't careful.

Failed Transmission at 138,000 Miles
By adamsbauer

2001 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The car looks great and I really like the way it runs but I expect more than 138,000 miles from an Acura transmission. I wish Acura would have done more to help me but I am stuck with a car that has a lot of miles and will have a new transmission soon and I am out several thousand dollars. If I buy from the same company I will buy an Accord. No need to pay extra if they don't take care of you and their cars don't last.

Favorite Features

When it runs it runs smooth and looks good. I was really happy with the car until the transmission went out at 138,000 miles

Suggested Improvements

Fix bad transmissions. Large blind spot.

Now you see me...
By Adam Hill

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Ok honestly, I am a 22 year old male and I give this car hell in a handbasket. I live out in the country so the roads can feel my 260+ hp. I love this car. It sounds like a T-rex lives under my hood. From the line, automatic mode is probably faster than the manumatic but hey, nobody likes that anyway on any car. If you wanna shift all the time get a five speed its that simple. Car is really light for a 3.2 engine and is getting rarer by the month. No problems yet with mine and like I said I drive it like Mr. Hyde.

Favorite Features

Dual exhaust, leather, type S black burlwood, the 3.2 vtec, pretty decent on gas (20, 29), spacious back seat.

Suggested Improvements

The Bose system is a bit lacking. My dad's stock Bose system in his 90 something Mercedes is much much better. Also, sunroof could be a little bigger, but that's being real picky.