2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S - Consumer Reviews

3.2 Type-S 3.2L V6 5-speed Automatic - (91 reviews )
2001 CL-S Review
By txengineer on 08/19/06 19:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car from a co-worker who bought it new. It had 41,000 miles when I purchased it three short years ago. The transmission had been replaced under warranty by the original owner, but not the control computer. After having the computer replaced at 85,000 miles, the second transmission started to have issues. Back to the dealer for another transmission and matched computer. They even threw a set of motor mounts in for free. Now at 135K the tranny is starting to shift ruff. We'll see. Otherwise, the car runs great with a bad squeak from the back package tray (solved with a piece of electrical tape wedged between the glass and the 3rd brake light tray.

Class and performance at a fair price
By ChicagoJay on 07/30/06 18:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I got into this car used, with 45,000 miles after owning a custom-ordered '99 Grand Prix GTX (GTP w/ SLP upgrades). I have to say, 3 years later, the Acura has definitely held its value better than my Grand Prix did. It also performed comparably, but is much quieter. The interior is what really sets the Acura apart. Good leather, wood grain plastic, hooks to keep the foot mats in place (the Grand Prix required after-market mats because the factory ones were useless). To top it all off, my Acura was assembled in Toledo, OH whereas my Grand Prix was put together in Canada. The Acura is a bit heavier than the Grand Prix, so it doesn't corner as well, and it's not as fast off the start.

4 1/2 years and still going
By Wilbur on 05/10/06 09:26 AM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned several Hondas as well as a previous Acura Integra, so I had no reservations about purchasing my CL Type S. I had the transmission issue that we've all had, but Acura backed it up without issue. I have since only had a seat belt issue, again under warranty, and have only gone through 1 set of tires and a battery. The reliability I expect from an Acura. My fiancee has a Mercedes C230 coupe which she has driven 10K miles and we're already considering selling it and keeping the CL until we drive it into the ground. It was a great buy 4 1/2 years ago and is still a great buy as a pre-owned car.

Best buy we ever made in a used car
By Myrtle Young on 02/26/06 14:31 PM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle used from a private party using Edmunds guide. It was in impeccable shape and has held it's value. Would recommend this vehicle to anyone although there has been one major expense to date, a power inverter for the headlights. It handles so well and has been a joy to own.

acura cl s-type
By acuraowner on 12/28/05 00:50 AM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

purchased a certified preowned CL, Acura stands by their warranty BUT too many trips to the service dept.; car rides smoothly, great on gas but constant engine light problems; transmission had to be replaced soon after i purchased but dealer covered costs - car was in dealership for 3 weeks!!! tire rims do scratch easily; paint job is poor; side airbag lights keep coming on, dealership says its nothing; maintenance cost not too bad; rear passenger seats only for 2; bose system is weak; cd's get stuck in changer; DEFINITELY KEEP YOUR RADIO CODE unless you want your radio replaced if car batttery dies and you need a jumpstart! hope it will trade-in fairly.

Upscale Honda is a winner
By Bill on 12/23/05 21:47 PM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've been a huge fan of Hondas for years, so my review is biased, but few if any automaker builds a better engine. This Acura is just as reliable as any of the five Hondas I've owned, but it has a true luxury car feel. The handling is a bit heavy; the car loves to plow into corners but that was fixed with thicker aftermarket sway bars. Aside from a few nagging interior rattles, the build quality is excellent. The car is both a luxury cruiser and a flat out fun car to drive.

Love it But...
By wohojr on 12/06/05 16:06 PM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new and and LOVE IT BUT...the real selling points being it was a Honda (I've owned 5), offered terrific value for the money and was a step up from my 94 Accord EXL four door. It was a coupe but practical enough to drive to work and enjoy all that power and luxury. Where this car let me down was when I had to replace the transmission at 15K! Acura stood behind their product and replaced it for free and even upped the warranty to cover any future problems but it fundamentally changed how I felt about the car. However, nothing else has gone wrong and I'm at 38K now. Acura killed the resale market when they canceled the CL in 03, so I'll be keeping her for awhile longer.

None better in 2001
By LC on 10/25/05 15:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

In 2001 if you wanted power, reliability, comfort, good looks and fuel economy, CL-S was clearly the best buy. The car makes 1,000 foot elevation climbs in the Rockies seem like the flats of Kansas. 68,000 miles and no problems. No sense trading it in; this will be my first car over 100,000 miles since my 73 Dodge.

Acura CL Type S
By Steve on 10/11/05 14:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great, fun car to drive. Luxury with some sport car features. Very reliable mechanically. Looks sharp!

Unreal Unreal
By Awesome on 08/17/05 17:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I must say it handles and rides better then 99% of the vehicles I have driven. Very reliable, very fast, very well built, no complaints. Resale is wonderful and so is gas mileage. BUY ONE