2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S - Consumer Reviews

3.2 Type-S 3.2L V6 5-speed Automatic - (90 reviews )
I LOVE THIS CAR!!
By vip on 11/07/08 10:42 AM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have this ac for about 4 years now. Bought it 16K now has 100 K +. I am telling you, I still look forward to getting in this car and drive to work. Absolute fun car to drive. Still drive brand new. I think it can easily run an another 100k without any issues. A++

No (Major) Complaints
By cat on 07/07/08 14:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great car all around. Had problems with initial transmission, but Acura happily replaced it. (It helps that I had bought the extended warranty.) Everyone I know loves my car (and most of them are jealous of me for driving it...oh well, that's their problem!).

I'm Still Driving It
By id03557 on 07/03/08 12:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

After 103,000 miles it seems like it will go another 100,000 no problem. It gets 30 mpg hwy and has only one problem; the tranny which Acura replaced under warranty at 63,000. It is quick, handles well and I have only put one set of tires on it at 65,000. My biggest complaint is that it picks up a lot of road noise... RRRRRRR. Otherwise it handles well, is faster than 98% of cars out there, and just keeps on keeping on. Heck it still has the original battery. I wish I could buy another one, but Acura, in its wisdom (?) doesn't offer a sporty coupe anymore.

Now you see me...
By Adam Hill on 05/17/08 14:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Ok honestly, I am a 22 year old male and I give this car hell in a handbasket. I live out in the country so the roads can feel my 260+ hp. I love this car. It sounds like a T-rex lives under my hood. From the line, automatic mode is probably faster than the manumatic but hey, nobody likes that anyway on any car. If you wanna shift all the time get a five speed its that simple. Car is really light for a 3.2 engine and is getting rarer by the month. No problems yet with mine and like I said I drive it like Mr. Hyde.

Mid-Life Crisis Car
By J.B. on 09/09/07 13:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I recently purchased this red, 2001 Acura CL 3.2, 2 door coupe, Type S. I had a 1997 Camry for 10 years, which still ran excellently, but the suspension was degrading, and other things were starting to go wrong with it. So, I had heard the Acura was a "fancy" Honda, and took a look at this used one with only 47,000 miles. It was great, and so "zippy"! As a middle aged woman, who has always been sensible, I decided to go for it. What fun! I am really enjoying this car. I do have to watch out for the paint, as it seems to flaw easily. Also, I have heard the trannys are not the greatest, but so far so good with this one. And features!? It practically comes in and cleans the house!

Beautiful car
By dviperkrzy1 on 07/14/07 12:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

With my personal experience of having different Honda made vehicles, I can say by far that the Acura CL Type S is one of Acura's best vehicles by far because of its balance of luxury and sport. I love to drive this car on the freeway and have it ride smooth even at 100. There was a transmission recall on the vehicle but as soon as the dealer changes the transmission for you for free no improvements needed.

Best for the budget!
By Dan on 04/25/07 13:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my CL-S over a year ago with 76K miles on it and so far it has performed very well. Excellent build quality and premium feel to interior. Most people think the car is less than one year old! The 260HP engine was ahead of its time and can still keep up with recent models like the Infiniti G35 coupe. Although the mileage was high, it was an excellent value for under $13K. I just replaced the front rotors and pads at around 88K miles ($400), and the only other expense I incurred were the four new tires ($650). The car has been pulling slightly to the left since I bought it and after two alignments the problem has not been corrected. It's been an overall pleasure to drive.

Got to get past the transmission issue
By tboneh on 12/30/06 06:50 AM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

If you can get past the transmission issue this is a great car to drive daily. It is comfortable, quiet, and has the best of both worlds, power and good gas mileage. On a recent trip I drove from south Ga. to Delray Beach Fla. on one tank. I averaged 80 mph and 29 mpg. The ride is firm enough to make handling very good. I did have the trans. replaced at 53K and plan to change fluid in pan every 10K. I hope that will help. I was told that Honda has made several improvements to try to make the replacement transmissions better. It's a shame that tramsmissions are a issue because the rest of the car is rock solid.

CL-S - Great to me
By cl in mn on 10/23/06 19:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my CL-S w/Nav early (May 00) - and enjoyed having a car that wasn't too common,yet a real sleeper in performance (can run with some fast cars). I never had the transmission replaced that seemed so common - but watching it close (Acura stepped up and extended warr for all to 7 yrs/100K - a stand-up thing to do for a car company). The rest of the car's quality has been great - literally nothing has gone wrong. Had a squeaky sunroof and rear cargo lid - but both were fixed early in the car's life. I still ENJOY driving this car 6 1/2 years later.

2001 CL-S Review
By txengineer on 08/19/06 19:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car from a co-worker who bought it new. It had 41,000 miles when I purchased it three short years ago. The transmission had been replaced under warranty by the original owner, but not the control computer. After having the computer replaced at 85,000 miles, the second transmission started to have issues. Back to the dealer for another transmission and matched computer. They even threw a set of motor mounts in for free. Now at 135K the tranny is starting to shift ruff. We'll see. Otherwise, the car runs great with a bad squeak from the back package tray (solved with a piece of electrical tape wedged between the glass and the 3rd brake light tray.