Used 2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura Cl - Consumer Reviews

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S

3.2 Type-S 3.2L V6 5-speed Automatic - (92 reviews )

Just Be Cautious
By cdabs3

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My uncle got the car new in 2001. He gave it to me 3 years ago with 93,000mi on it (nothing for a Honda) within the first 3 months of having it at 96,000mi the transmission died. This was the first of my problems. The side motor mount as well as front, were worn out so much they were not holding the engine in place anymore. At 123,867mi when I HAD to give it up because of the enormity of problems it was having Acura quoted me at $4,895 for all the repairs. List of items that needed replacement: All four rotors, brake pads(normal), All four struts with the coils because they were "weak", both front CV axels, and the front passenger brake caliper. Maybe I just had bad luck but just be weary.

Favorite Features

As expected and outstanding engine, Interior material quality, Exterior styling, loaded with tech features (heated seats, memory seat, bose speakers)

Suggested Improvements

N/A

my Ricer
By redplanetlover

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2001 CL 3.2 Type S around Christmas in 2006 and as of now I have replaced the alternator and the power steering pump. That's it! I did it in my garage for a couple hundred bucks all in. I have had NO problems with the transmission at all and I am at 165000 K right now. I think the transmission problems are from people who shift manually and I rarely do that. The computer does a better job than my ears can. What can I say? I have thought about replacing her but every car I test drive is no quicker and most don't have the handling of my Type S. I have found that to show an improvement I would have to spend $50,000 and why bother? If you can find one, buy it and smile.

Favorite Features

Acceleration always fools people, except the time I was fooled by a WRX.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger tires, bigger anti-sway bars.

2001 Acura Cl 3.2 Type-S Coupe -- Excellent
By jrswifty

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my 2001 Acura so much that I figured I'd share my great experience. I drove my car for three years running it up to 180000km. This car never let me down and started every single time - even in the -40 Canadian winters. I never had any problems with the transmission or any other part of the car. The Acura Cl Type-S is truly a joy to drive, lots of power for all sorts of fun. Handled excellent in the winter and on gravel roads. Unfortunately I was hit in an intersection writing my vehicle off. That being said, the car kept me safe and the necessary airbags deployed when and where they were needed. I now drive an Infiniti and it is not at all comparable to my great Cl.

Transmission
By alexei2

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bad transmissions with the Honda's and Acura's. Heating is the major failure for transmissions.

Favorite Features

Power and a goodlooking car

Suggested Improvements

Transmissions. Engineering Dept need to come up with a way to keep the heat away from the Transmission. Many people with Honda's have similar problems. We cannot afford to continuously put out @4000 dollars. Its not fair to the consumer.

She's A Beauty BUT Transmission Issues GALORE!
By pr_diva2012

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle in 2005 certified pre-owned from an Acura dealership in NJ with less then 40K miles... she lasted me up until a couple days ago (currently 222k miles.) The car is a great ride and it went the distance but the only thing is that I had problems with the transmission... I had to replace the original transmission in 2008 (which was a doozy) and just a couple days ago, my maintenance required light came on... went to go check it out and ofcourse the trans is on it's way out. This is my 2nd owned Acura... I am going to bid farewell to Acura and go to the Lexus side of the street.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, great factory sound system, bucket seats, sleek and sexy look...

Suggested Improvements

Acura has to get it right with building a durable transmission...