2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S - Consumer Reviews

3.2 Type-S 3.2L V6 5-speed Automatic - (91 reviews )
my Ricer
By redplanetlover on 08/16/14 10:03 AM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2001 CL 3.2 Type S around Christmas in 2006 and as of now I have replaced the alternator and the power steering pump. That's it! I did it in my garage for a couple hundred bucks all in. I have had NO problems with the transmission at all and I am at 165000 K right now. I think the transmission problems are from people who shift manually and I rarely do that. The computer does a better job than my ears can. What can I say? I have thought about replacing her but every car I test drive is no quicker and most don't have the handling of my Type S. I have found that to show an improvement I would have to spend $50,000 and why bother? If you can find one, buy it and smile.

2001 Acura Cl 3.2 Type-S Coupe -- Excellent
By jrswifty on 05/05/14 21:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my 2001 Acura so much that I figured I'd share my great experience. I drove my car for three years running it up to 180000km. This car never let me down and started every single time - even in the -40 Canadian winters. I never had any problems with the transmission or any other part of the car. The Acura Cl Type-S is truly a joy to drive, lots of power for all sorts of fun. Handled excellent in the winter and on gravel roads. Unfortunately I was hit in an intersection writing my vehicle off. That being said, the car kept me safe and the necessary airbags deployed when and where they were needed. I now drive an Infiniti and it is not at all comparable to my great Cl.

Transmission
By alexei2 on 08/09/13 21:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bad transmissions with the Honda's and Acura's. Heating is the major failure for transmissions.

She's A Beauty BUT Transmission Issues GALORE!
By pr_diva2012 on 08/03/12 15:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle in 2005 certified pre-owned from an Acura dealership in NJ with less then 40K miles... she lasted me up until a couple days ago (currently 222k miles.) The car is a great ride and it went the distance but the only thing is that I had problems with the transmission... I had to replace the original transmission in 2008 (which was a doozy) and just a couple days ago, my maintenance required light came on... went to go check it out and ofcourse the trans is on it's way out. This is my 2nd owned Acura... I am going to bid farewell to Acura and go to the Lexus side of the street.

My 2001 Acura CL-S
By smileyhollow on 01/24/12 11:56 AM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

In 2000, I bought a 2001 Acura CL-S brand new and I love it. It has 49,000 miles and the only things I have ever had done to it is have the oil changed and the scheduled maintenance. The only thing bad I have to say about this car is that it didn't hold it's value as I thought it would. Even though I have 4 people standing in line to buy it, I am keeping it and maybe sell it later. It is a blast to drive and now that there are not many on the road, it gets the looks. I think it is a beautiful and a fun car. So if you ever see a shiny, bright red 2001 CL-S in perfect condition passing you, wave, it will probably be me.

Bad Transmission
By kaumudi on 12/02/11 11:57 AM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I had acura integra before drove till it reached 250k and then donated it never had any problems. decided to try another acura and guess what tranny out in less than 4 months of driving. Stay away from 3.2TL models altogether. My cousins bought the same car, engine head blew on the highway.

Think twice about this one....
By ar1906 on 12/16/10 19:38 PM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my cl type-s used 4 years ago with just a little over 100k miles on it. It has been better than I expected but this car has a serious transmission issue. I've had to replace 2, the first was well over $2k and the second was fixed under warranty and now at 215,000 miles I'm looking at getting a third!!! If your thinking about buying one used beware that your gonna have to replace the transmission at some point. Other than that issue this car has been great, it's fun to drive with very comfortable seats for long trips. Verdict: I'm selling it and getting a 07 TL, why? U can't beat honda and acura value!!!'m selling and getting a 07 TL as mileage is pretty decent too. To sum it up,

Nice ride, except for the tranny
By rs118 on 05/07/10 14:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it used 5 years ago at 23k in immaculate condition. Driven hard and now at 110k. Only routine maintenance required. EXCEPT FOR the transmission that has been replaced 3 times at the dealer, all under warranty with loaner cars provided. Original slipped at 36k, 2nd was noisy at 91k, 3rd was quiet but slipped at 98k, the 4th is a little noisy but good. The ride is rough on cracked pavement, but the handling is pretty good (it's slightly lowered but on original wheels). It's garaged and the paint / interior are still in great condition. Nice stereo but lacks bass; an amp and subwoofer cured that. Tires and break pads have lasted well. MPG is marginal, premium required.

Amazing
By Sebastian on 12/17/09 15:26 PM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have 254,681 miles on my CL and it runs like a dream! I bought it used in 2004 and it had just around 100,000 miles on it then. I'm not sure what the guy before me did to it in respect to repairs and such but I have not had one problem with the engine since I have had it. I replaced a bearing once and have had some trouble with the electrical... my volume turns up when I turn it down sometimes haha, but it's still an amazing car. The stereo is sick! I love the car.

Bad Transmissions
By hate bad trannys on 11/24/09 05:13 AM (PST)

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This has been one of the best cars I've ever driven. Quiet, fast, great stereo. I would go out and buy another one except for one fact. I am on my 3rd transmission and Acura will not stand by their product. They replaced one at 65,000, another at 80,000, and now at 136,000 they want to charge me $5,000 (the first 2 were warrantied) for a new one. I still own the car but bought another brand because of this experience.