Used 2001 Acura CL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura Cl - Consumer Reviews

2001 Acura CL

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Just Be Cautious
By cdabs3

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My uncle got the car new in 2001. He gave it to me 3 years ago with 93,000mi on it (nothing for a Honda) within the first 3 months of having it at 96,000mi the transmission died. This was the first of my problems. The side motor mount as well as front, were worn out so much they were not holding the engine in place anymore. At 123,867mi when I HAD to give it up because of the enormity of problems it was having Acura quoted me at $4,895 for all the repairs. List of items that needed replacement: All four rotors, brake pads(normal), All four struts with the coils because they were "weak", both front CV axels, and the front passenger brake caliper. Maybe I just had bad luck but just be weary.

Favorite Features

As expected and outstanding engine, Interior material quality, Exterior styling, loaded with tech features (heated seats, memory seat, bose speakers)

Suggested Improvements

N/A

my Ricer
By redplanetlover

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2001 CL 3.2 Type S around Christmas in 2006 and as of now I have replaced the alternator and the power steering pump. That's it! I did it in my garage for a couple hundred bucks all in. I have had NO problems with the transmission at all and I am at 165000 K right now. I think the transmission problems are from people who shift manually and I rarely do that. The computer does a better job than my ears can. What can I say? I have thought about replacing her but every car I test drive is no quicker and most don't have the handling of my Type S. I have found that to show an improvement I would have to spend $50,000 and why bother? If you can find one, buy it and smile.

Favorite Features

Acceleration always fools people, except the time I was fooled by a WRX.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger tires, bigger anti-sway bars.

2001 Acura Cl 3.2 Type-S Coupe -- Excellent
By jrswifty

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my 2001 Acura so much that I figured I'd share my great experience. I drove my car for three years running it up to 180000km. This car never let me down and started every single time - even in the -40 Canadian winters. I never had any problems with the transmission or any other part of the car. The Acura Cl Type-S is truly a joy to drive, lots of power for all sorts of fun. Handled excellent in the winter and on gravel roads. Unfortunately I was hit in an intersection writing my vehicle off. That being said, the car kept me safe and the necessary airbags deployed when and where they were needed. I now drive an Infiniti and it is not at all comparable to my great Cl.

Transmission
By alexei2

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bad transmissions with the Honda's and Acura's. Heating is the major failure for transmissions.

Favorite Features

Power and a goodlooking car

Suggested Improvements

Transmissions. Engineering Dept need to come up with a way to keep the heat away from the Transmission. Many people with Honda's have similar problems. We cannot afford to continuously put out @4000 dollars. Its not fair to the consumer.

Until Now
By ladyveee

2001 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my 2001 3.2 CL since 2004. That's right she's 11 years old and has been so good to me as I have been to her. Last week I had an interesting experience that I've never had before. She putted 3 times while in traffic and just died. It wasn't the battery and 30 minutes later she started up and the problem has not reocurred. She has been with mechanic for approximately a week and they can't find anything wrong. Mechanic has been driving her to and from work to see what happens. If mechanic can not find the issue, I may have to consider replacing her, I drive too often and late at night and am afraid of getting stranded or worse. Up to this point she has been reliable. I love her but

Favorite Features

Navigation, Comfort, Spacious, Reliability, Leather Interior, Sun Roof, Moon Roof, CD Changer, Cassette Player (old school), Still Going Strong...

Suggested Improvements

I need her to talk to me and tell me what's wrong