1999 Acura CL Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:
My first car
By Ice Man on 08/29/09 12:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

This is my far car. I researched this car right here on edmunds.com the night before I purchased it. Once I saw the reviews were great I bought it. I've owned the car less than a week now and I love this car. The good: I'm a college student. It gets 20-22 miles in the city, it's fun to drive, it's super luxurious, and fast. It's sleek, my car is bright red with white interior. The bad: the car has a horrible turning radius other than that I can't think of anything else I don't like about the car.

This car delivers
By gabi76 on 04/20/09 18:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

Bought this car with 110k on it for 4k. I put on it 70k miles in 3 years and the only "big" investment has been a set of tires and brakes. Still drives like the day I bought it. Don't intend to sell it. I'll never regret the purchase.

A very reliable but fun car
By Ian S. on 01/25/09 12:03 PM (PST)

1999 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1999 CL 2.3 because I needed something reliable coming from a BMW. Unfortunately, my CL was in poor condition, but I got a great deal on it. To my surprise, it was in excellent mechanical condition. A little bit of elbow grease quickly brought its appearance back to life. The first thing I noticed was the excellent quality of the paint and interior materials. I couldn't believe how resilient the leather and carpet was. The paint is beautiful after some heavy buffing and the car looks new after a thorough cleaning! Mechanically, I have had zero problems. The transmission shifts smooth and engine sounds like new. I would highly recommend this car.

Reliable & Sporty at almost 10 yrs!
By JJ on 10/19/08 13:00 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

I got a '99 CL in '02 as a certified used car, giving up my '91 Prelude. My CL is a step up in size, luxury (leather) and nice power accessories! It doesn't corner as tight as a Prelude, but it's sporty-looking & very reliable. Consumer Reports continues to list it every year as one of its best used car values. Mine has never given me any problems, still has a smooth ride, & feels comfortable and roomy for long trips. I wish there were a 4 cyl. luxury coupe out there now from Honda or Acura to compare to it! Mileage is pretty good-about 28 highway, and mid 20's city. My CL is almost 10 years old but I won't get rid of it, since there's nothing else in a 4 cyl luxury coupe to compare to it.

great mpg
By 1972wilson on 07/19/08 09:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

Parked the full size truck that gets 13 mpg getting 27-32 mpg with the cl. Solid to drive as well as fun. Couldn't be happier with the purchase

A Great Value for a Used Car
By joe gonzo on 03/25/08 16:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

We love the interior design of this car. It handles great on the open road and the Vtech has plenty of punch when you need it. This is our second Acura and the reason is their reliability. My Integra is ready to turn the odometer again and it still runs like a top. I do my own maintenence and these cars are easy to work on. The only problem with both cars is the radiator going bad but they are easy and cheap to replace. It doesn't cost 300 bucks to change the plugs either. By the way, the CL was designed and built in Ohio for those who think it's an import and women really dig it.

Outstanding machinery
By ns97us on 02/12/05 23:47 PM (PST)

1999 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

So far I only added the gas and did the regular maintenance. Has the original Michelin tires (100k)! This baby helps me to take the lead on the fastest lane of the freeway in no time: it's the cheetah of the roads.

Great little car
By tneef on 10/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

Bought the car for my daughter when she turned 16 and now hate to give it up. Fun to drive, great gas mileage and no problems.

endless styling
By spice on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

Still looks good and turns heads after 4 years.

The Best!
By Alenkacz on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

The best most reliable car I have ever owned! Went through several domestics, Chryslers, Fords and then tried German VW. Same story in and out of the shop on a monthly basis. Five years and only oil and filter changes. Fun to drive and plenty of power, had it up to 120 and rock solid all the way. I hate to pull up to a stop light and see one or two of "My cars" sitting there, this will not happen in a CL. I live in Charlotte NC a fairly large city and see just a few around but mine is the only Milano Red with a deck spoiler, stands out in a crowd and still turns heads even after five years.