Used 1999 Acura CL Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Acura CL Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Bad trans in 99 don't buy
By dontuy22

1999 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 2dr Coupe

I own a 99 CL 3.0, all of the transmissions go bad in this car, I've talked to many people and eventually the trans will go bad way before it should. Do not buy one unless you're prepared to sink 3 grand into at any given time. Could have been a great car, I replaced my trans at 80k miles and now it works good. A friend of mine is an excelllent mechanic with a wealth of knowledge on all cars, and he says it should be good for another 100k miles, but it will definetely go out again eventually and there's nothing that can be done besides replacing it again.

I love the car besides the bad transmission.

Bad transmissions.

bad trans
By 99 acura

1999 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 2dr Coupe

although it is a nice car with a great motor the trans is garbage ive had mine for 2 years and just put another one in and ACURA extended the warranty it doesnt fix the problem they should have recalled and redesigned the trans.

steering wheel controls

fully redesigned trans and more powerfull engine

Still has looks
By Dibbyb

1999 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 2dr Coupe

Got hooked by the styling, love to drive it. I had a 95 Accord wagon and loved that, this is better. Bought for $4500 with 112,000, now 126,000. Brakes replaced, were pretty rusty when I bought it. The A/C compressor let go last summer - $1200. You have to expect a few repairs on a 10 year old car. Has all the options +remote start. Drove it 600 miles in 10 hrs on I-90, most comfortable road trip I ever had. Performance is great! Put it in passing gear and it presses you back and the tuned exhaust roars. I can imagine it surprises the passee with the sound. Doesn't look or feel like a 10 year old. I need to get a van or pickup but will miss this little rocket.

Mileage - 22 city, 32 hwy. The climate controls are easy to use. Good stereo (Bose). Taillight treatment has set the style, still looks up-to-date. Great pick-up passing, 65-85 in a couple seconds. Handles like a sports car - tight. Nice aluminum wheels.

Turning radius could be tighter. Passenger seat is manual and when pushed forward for back seat access doesn't return to original position, you have to use the handle under the seat and adjust the seat back too. Has small center door into trunk, fold down seatback would be nicer.

My first car
By Ice Man

1999 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

This is my far car. I researched this car right here on edmunds.com the night before I purchased it. Once I saw the reviews were great I bought it. I've owned the car less than a week now and I love this car. The good: I'm a college student. It gets 20-22 miles in the city, it's fun to drive, it's super luxurious, and fast. It's sleek, my car is bright red with white interior. The bad: the car has a horrible turning radius other than that I can't think of anything else I don't like about the car.

Power everything, besides dual climate control and dual power seats which my car doesn't have, it only has single. Moon roof not sunroof, moonroofs are better, volume changer on the steering wheel, good gas mileage, uncommon car, rare, pretty to look at, you'll surely stand out, get girls.

Turning radius, dual climate control, dual power seats, bring the CL back, 4 doors I know that's impossible.

Wonderful Acura
By D Cohen

1999 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 2dr Coupe

This is a very unique car. It is outstanding to drive; has comfort, power, acceleration, quietness, and yet, it is reliable. The styling is classy and attractive. The lines are classic and elegant. Love the beautiful rear styling. Everyone looks at this car and comments how they like it. It will never go out of style and has never been a problem. I wish other things in life were as reliable as this car and had such longevity. We are not selling our CL. No other new car can compare in quality, comfort, reliability, and technology.

Excellent radio & easy to use. Soft glove-leather large seats. Outstanding all-around visibility. Beautiful color coordinated interiors. 3.0 wheels on 99 models are beautiful classy multi-spoked. Quiet engine. Ride is as if you are riding on a cloud. It rides like a Cadillac & handles like a BMW.

It is the best combination of everything anyone would desire. We wouldn't mess with a thing. We are not selling ours. If you can find one for sale, buy it without hesitation. No problems with this car in the 10 years we've had it since new.