1999 Acura CL 3.0 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Acura Cl - Consumer Reviews

1999 CL Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Sort Reviews by

Bad trans in 99 don't buy
By dontuy22

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

I own a 99 CL 3.0, all of the transmissions go bad in this car, I've talked to many people and eventually the trans will go bad way before it should. Do not buy one unless you're prepared to sink 3 grand into at any given time. Could have been a great car, I replaced my trans at 80k miles and now it works good. A friend of mine is an excelllent mechanic with a wealth of knowledge on all cars, and he says it should be good for another 100k miles, but it will definetely go out again eventually and there's nothing that can be done besides replacing it again.

Favorite Features

I love the car besides the bad transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Bad transmissions.

bad trans
By 99 acura

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

although it is a nice car with a great motor the trans is garbage ive had mine for 2 years and just put another one in and ACURA extended the warranty it doesnt fix the problem they should have recalled and redesigned the trans.

Favorite Features

steering wheel controls

Suggested Improvements

fully redesigned trans and more powerfull engine

Still has looks
By Dibbyb

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Got hooked by the styling, love to drive it. I had a 95 Accord wagon and loved that, this is better. Bought for $4500 with 112,000, now 126,000. Brakes replaced, were pretty rusty when I bought it. The A/C compressor let go last summer - $1200. You have to expect a few repairs on a 10 year old car. Has all the options +remote start. Drove it 600 miles in 10 hrs on I-90, most comfortable road trip I ever had. Performance is great! Put it in passing gear and it presses you back and the tuned exhaust roars. I can imagine it surprises the passee with the sound. Doesn't look or feel like a 10 year old. I need to get a van or pickup but will miss this little rocket.

Favorite Features

Mileage - 22 city, 32 hwy. The climate controls are easy to use. Good stereo (Bose). Taillight treatment has set the style, still looks up-to-date. Great pick-up passing, 65-85 in a couple seconds. Handles like a sports car - tight. Nice aluminum wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius could be tighter. Passenger seat is manual and when pushed forward for back seat access doesn't return to original position, you have to use the handle under the seat and adjust the seat back too. Has small center door into trunk, fold down seatback would be nicer.

Wonderful Acura
By D Cohen

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

This is a very unique car. It is outstanding to drive; has comfort, power, acceleration, quietness, and yet, it is reliable. The styling is classy and attractive. The lines are classic and elegant. Love the beautiful rear styling. Everyone looks at this car and comments how they like it. It will never go out of style and has never been a problem. I wish other things in life were as reliable as this car and had such longevity. We are not selling our CL. No other new car can compare in quality, comfort, reliability, and technology.

Favorite Features

Excellent radio & easy to use. Soft glove-leather large seats. Outstanding all-around visibility. Beautiful color coordinated interiors. 3.0 wheels on 99 models are beautiful classy multi-spoked. Quiet engine. Ride is as if you are riding on a cloud. It rides like a Cadillac & handles like a BMW.

Suggested Improvements

It is the best combination of everything anyone would desire. We wouldn't mess with a thing. We are not selling ours. If you can find one for sale, buy it without hesitation. No problems with this car in the 10 years we've had it since new.

Very Reliable
By acuraowner

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Purchased this car new in '99 and has been the most reliable car I've owned. I get it serviced at scheduled intervals. Driver's side auto window feature has failed. Brakes and rotors seem to need replacing more often than normal. Currently have 95K miles. Repairs so far: brakes and rotors - twice, auto window control, brake caliper leak, brake & headlights, timing belt... Not too bad in 10 years.

Favorite Features

Climate control and heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius is horrible, makes parking a bit challenging at times.

You don't need the bling for luxury
By dmitzah

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

I bought this car private party from the second owner. Continually maintained by specialist shop. Low miles for a 9 year old car (87k). This car is pretty awesome. It has loads of power to spare, it's super comfortable, takes the bumps pretty well, and it's fairly quiet. If you drive a lot, this car will take a lot of road wear off YOUR body. I drive a lot on the freeway, and I don't even feel the effects. It's a pleasure to drive and has a lot of support in the leather seats. I'm 6ft tall too, and the backseats aren't too shabby. Really, if you want luxury or a comfy ride, this car is it and it's priced well. BMWs, Benz and VWs are good, but you can't beat this price.

Favorite Features

I like the power and smooth running engine. Comfort, interior design, remote entry, EVERYTHING. I have yet to find something that I can't stand.

Suggested Improvements

A lot of things already got replace when I bought it, but I wish the transmission would be designed better. It's clunky, but I haven't had any issues. Also the gas mileage. If there was a 5sp pairing, that'd be awesome. All in all an incredibly solid car.

Disappointed
By Wil-Mem

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

My wife loves the car but I'm very disappointed with trans. After driving an '86 Caravan and a '98 Buick LeSabre for over 300k miles each with never a trans service, I was certain this Acura would do the same. Wrong. Now it slipping on up-shift & down-shift. Brake pads & rotors do not hold up well. Had to replace left window roll- up device. Poor mileage for a 3.0L. Drivers seat memory has failed even after the seat motor & other items were replaced by Acura. Steering wheel radio controls correctly operate intermittently. Radio was replaced but did not help the problem. White paint is poor on metal parts but worse on bumpers.

Favorite Features

Excellent power and good on highways and mountains. Good visibility all around. The wife likes the heated seats - I couldn't care less. Keyless entry works very well from extended distances.

Bulletproof 99 CL 3.0
By azavocat

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Bought this car new and its been bulletproof ever since. Nothing but routine maintenance. The ride, handling and craftsmanship are excellent. Similar to my NSX, when that VTEC opens up it delivers a surprising amount of power.

Favorite Features

Mine has low miles and looks great with the dealer installed wing, so I get compliments all the time.

Suggested Improvements

Acura: bring back the two door luxury coupe!

This is Simply a Wonderful Automobile
By Ken Kreps

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Bought new, it has gone from being our first car to our second car and has proven to be an outstanding buy. It's comfortable to drive, looks great, has many great features, gets wonderful mileage (29-30 on the highway on regular). True, for its age it is is a low mileage car (just a few hundred over 60,000). No maintenance other than routine. In nine years we have replaced the tires, battery, alternator, brakes, and recently, the timing belt and water pump. All of these are routine for a nine year old automobile. We will drive this car easily another 3 or 4 years, as there is no way we could purchase nearly as fine a car for its current fair market value. This was a great buy for us.

Favorite Features

Body style (it doesn't look like all the other cars on the road), luxury features, leather heated seats (power on driver's side), wonderful sound from its tuned exhaust system, moon roof, gas mileage (on regular), quickness, and a real hoot to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Memory driver's seat would have been nice, but you can't have everything, I guess. Sound system (radio, CD) is good, but not great. Why they discontinued this model, I'll never know, as it is a real winner.

Nice car
By ScorpioEddie84

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

I bought this car around 4/07 from a private owner with 100k on it. They were the original owners and kept the car up well. I like this car a lot and wish Acura would bring it back (currently they have no 2-door cars available). But anyway, so far this car has treated me pretty well and is fun to drive. Only strange thing that has happened is the brake light in the dash... it will not go off sometimes when I start up the car even though the emergency brake is comletely off. The light usually goes out once it has been driven a few minutes. Also the cruise- control light sometimes does not light up at night. I assume it is very minor electrical stuff to blame for both.

Favorite Features

I love the exterior design of this car. I also like the interior. I like how the instrument cluster uses a fancy-looking font for the letters and numbers, kinda italicized (not available on the '97 models). Car is good on gas too. Driver seat is extremely comfortable!

Suggested Improvements

The following is what I think they should've improved on: a stronger engine, brighter interior nighttime lights, redesigned cupholder, A/C controls closer to driver w/larger buttons and a digital odom/tripmeter.