1999 Acura CL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:
Bad trans in 99 don't buy
By dontuy22 on 09/03/13 09:17 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

I own a 99 CL 3.0, all of the transmissions go bad in this car, I've talked to many people and eventually the trans will go bad way before it should. Do not buy one unless you're prepared to sink 3 grand into at any given time. Could have been a great car, I replaced my trans at 80k miles and now it works good. A friend of mine is an excelllent mechanic with a wealth of knowledge on all cars, and he says it should be good for another 100k miles, but it will definetely go out again eventually and there's nothing that can be done besides replacing it again.

bad trans
By 99 acura on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

although it is a nice car with a great motor the trans is garbage ive had mine for 2 years and just put another one in and ACURA extended the warranty it doesnt fix the problem they should have recalled and redesigned the trans.

Still has looks
By Dibbyb on 02/02/10 07:34 AM (PST)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Got hooked by the styling, love to drive it. I had a 95 Accord wagon and loved that, this is better. Bought for $4500 with 112,000, now 126,000. Brakes replaced, were pretty rusty when I bought it. The A/C compressor let go last summer - $1200. You have to expect a few repairs on a 10 year old car. Has all the options +remote start. Drove it 600 miles in 10 hrs on I-90, most comfortable road trip I ever had. Performance is great! Put it in passing gear and it presses you back and the tuned exhaust roars. I can imagine it surprises the passee with the sound. Doesn't look or feel like a 10 year old. I need to get a van or pickup but will miss this little rocket.

Wonderful Acura
By D Cohen on 05/26/09 23:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

This is a very unique car. It is outstanding to drive; has comfort, power, acceleration, quietness, and yet, it is reliable. The styling is classy and attractive. The lines are classic and elegant. Love the beautiful rear styling. Everyone looks at this car and comments how they like it. It will never go out of style and has never been a problem. I wish other things in life were as reliable as this car and had such longevity. We are not selling our CL. No other new car can compare in quality, comfort, reliability, and technology.

Very Reliable
By acuraowner on 03/15/09 11:22 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Purchased this car new in '99 and has been the most reliable car I've owned. I get it serviced at scheduled intervals. Driver's side auto window feature has failed. Brakes and rotors seem to need replacing more often than normal. Currently have 95K miles. Repairs so far: brakes and rotors - twice, auto window control, brake caliper leak, brake & headlights, timing belt... Not too bad in 10 years.

You don't need the bling for luxury
By dmitzah on 10/08/08 00:13 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

I bought this car private party from the second owner. Continually maintained by specialist shop. Low miles for a 9 year old car (87k). This car is pretty awesome. It has loads of power to spare, it's super comfortable, takes the bumps pretty well, and it's fairly quiet. If you drive a lot, this car will take a lot of road wear off YOUR body. I drive a lot on the freeway, and I don't even feel the effects. It's a pleasure to drive and has a lot of support in the leather seats. I'm 6ft tall too, and the backseats aren't too shabby. Really, if you want luxury or a comfy ride, this car is it and it's priced well. BMWs, Benz and VWs are good, but you can't beat this price.

Disappointed
By Wil-Mem on 08/11/08 12:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

My wife loves the car but I'm very disappointed with trans. After driving an '86 Caravan and a '98 Buick LeSabre for over 300k miles each with never a trans service, I was certain this Acura would do the same. Wrong. Now it slipping on up-shift & down-shift. Brake pads & rotors do not hold up well. Had to replace left window roll- up device. Poor mileage for a 3.0L. Drivers seat memory has failed even after the seat motor & other items were replaced by Acura. Steering wheel radio controls correctly operate intermittently. Radio was replaced but did not help the problem. White paint is poor on metal parts but worse on bumpers.

Bulletproof 99 CL 3.0
By azavocat on 06/25/08 15:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Bought this car new and its been bulletproof ever since. Nothing but routine maintenance. The ride, handling and craftsmanship are excellent. Similar to my NSX, when that VTEC opens up it delivers a surprising amount of power.

This is Simply a Wonderful Automobile
By Ken Kreps on 06/06/08 11:09 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Bought new, it has gone from being our first car to our second car and has proven to be an outstanding buy. It's comfortable to drive, looks great, has many great features, gets wonderful mileage (29-30 on the highway on regular). True, for its age it is is a low mileage car (just a few hundred over 60,000). No maintenance other than routine. In nine years we have replaced the tires, battery, alternator, brakes, and recently, the timing belt and water pump. All of these are routine for a nine year old automobile. We will drive this car easily another 3 or 4 years, as there is no way we could purchase nearly as fine a car for its current fair market value. This was a great buy for us.

Nice car
By ScorpioEddie84 on 09/16/07 20:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

I bought this car around 4/07 from a private owner with 100k on it. They were the original owners and kept the car up well. I like this car a lot and wish Acura would bring it back (currently they have no 2-door cars available). But anyway, so far this car has treated me pretty well and is fun to drive. Only strange thing that has happened is the brake light in the dash... it will not go off sometimes when I start up the car even though the emergency brake is comletely off. The light usually goes out once it has been driven a few minutes. Also the cruise- control light sometimes does not light up at night. I assume it is very minor electrical stuff to blame for both.