1999 Acura CL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:
Bad trans in 99 don't buy
By dontuy22 on 09/03/13 09:17 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

I own a 99 CL 3.0, all of the transmissions go bad in this car, I've talked to many people and eventually the trans will go bad way before it should. Do not buy one unless you're prepared to sink 3 grand into at any given time. Could have been a great car, I replaced my trans at 80k miles and now it works good. A friend of mine is an excelllent mechanic with a wealth of knowledge on all cars, and he says it should be good for another 100k miles, but it will definetely go out again eventually and there's nothing that can be done besides replacing it again.

bad trans
By 99 acura on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

although it is a nice car with a great motor the trans is garbage ive had mine for 2 years and just put another one in and ACURA extended the warranty it doesnt fix the problem they should have recalled and redesigned the trans.

Still has looks
By Dibbyb on 02/02/10 07:34 AM (PST)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Got hooked by the styling, love to drive it. I had a 95 Accord wagon and loved that, this is better. Bought for $4500 with 112,000, now 126,000. Brakes replaced, were pretty rusty when I bought it. The A/C compressor let go last summer - $1200. You have to expect a few repairs on a 10 year old car. Has all the options +remote start. Drove it 600 miles in 10 hrs on I-90, most comfortable road trip I ever had. Performance is great! Put it in passing gear and it presses you back and the tuned exhaust roars. I can imagine it surprises the passee with the sound. Doesn't look or feel like a 10 year old. I need to get a van or pickup but will miss this little rocket.

My first car
By Ice Man on 08/29/09 12:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 2.3 2dr Coupe

This is my far car. I researched this car right here on edmunds.com the night before I purchased it. Once I saw the reviews were great I bought it. I've owned the car less than a week now and I love this car. The good: I'm a college student. It gets 20-22 miles in the city, it's fun to drive, it's super luxurious, and fast. It's sleek, my car is bright red with white interior. The bad: the car has a horrible turning radius other than that I can't think of anything else I don't like about the car.

Wonderful Acura
By D Cohen on 05/26/09 23:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

This is a very unique car. It is outstanding to drive; has comfort, power, acceleration, quietness, and yet, it is reliable. The styling is classy and attractive. The lines are classic and elegant. Love the beautiful rear styling. Everyone looks at this car and comments how they like it. It will never go out of style and has never been a problem. I wish other things in life were as reliable as this car and had such longevity. We are not selling our CL. No other new car can compare in quality, comfort, reliability, and technology.

This car delivers
By gabi76 on 04/20/09 18:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 2.3 2dr Coupe

Bought this car with 110k on it for 4k. I put on it 70k miles in 3 years and the only "big" investment has been a set of tires and brakes. Still drives like the day I bought it. Don't intend to sell it. I'll never regret the purchase.

Very Reliable
By acuraowner on 03/15/09 11:22 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Purchased this car new in '99 and has been the most reliable car I've owned. I get it serviced at scheduled intervals. Driver's side auto window feature has failed. Brakes and rotors seem to need replacing more often than normal. Currently have 95K miles. Repairs so far: brakes and rotors - twice, auto window control, brake caliper leak, brake & headlights, timing belt... Not too bad in 10 years.

A very reliable but fun car
By Ian S. on 01/25/09 12:03 PM (PST)

1999 Acura CL 2.3 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1999 CL 2.3 because I needed something reliable coming from a BMW. Unfortunately, my CL was in poor condition, but I got a great deal on it. To my surprise, it was in excellent mechanical condition. A little bit of elbow grease quickly brought its appearance back to life. The first thing I noticed was the excellent quality of the paint and interior materials. I couldn't believe how resilient the leather and carpet was. The paint is beautiful after some heavy buffing and the car looks new after a thorough cleaning! Mechanically, I have had zero problems. The transmission shifts smooth and engine sounds like new. I would highly recommend this car.

Reliable & Sporty at almost 10 yrs!
By JJ on 10/19/08 13:00 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 2.3 2dr Coupe

I got a '99 CL in '02 as a certified used car, giving up my '91 Prelude. My CL is a step up in size, luxury (leather) and nice power accessories! It doesn't corner as tight as a Prelude, but it's sporty-looking & very reliable. Consumer Reports continues to list it every year as one of its best used car values. Mine has never given me any problems, still has a smooth ride, & feels comfortable and roomy for long trips. I wish there were a 4 cyl. luxury coupe out there now from Honda or Acura to compare to it! Mileage is pretty good-about 28 highway, and mid 20's city. My CL is almost 10 years old but I won't get rid of it, since there's nothing else in a 4 cyl luxury coupe to compare to it.

You don't need the bling for luxury
By dmitzah on 10/08/08 00:13 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

I bought this car private party from the second owner. Continually maintained by specialist shop. Low miles for a 9 year old car (87k). This car is pretty awesome. It has loads of power to spare, it's super comfortable, takes the bumps pretty well, and it's fairly quiet. If you drive a lot, this car will take a lot of road wear off YOUR body. I drive a lot on the freeway, and I don't even feel the effects. It's a pleasure to drive and has a lot of support in the leather seats. I'm 6ft tall too, and the backseats aren't too shabby. Really, if you want luxury or a comfy ride, this car is it and it's priced well. BMWs, Benz and VWs are good, but you can't beat this price.