Everyday Driver
By snowdogg on
1998 Acura CL 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe
Bought used with 42K miles - hard to believe it is only a 4 banger... really moves out with the 5 speed. Everything still works and I put 65 miles on it daily commuting. Never any problems mechanically. Have replaced the exhaust twice (Vermont winters are hard on a car) and gone through 2 sets of tires in 80K miles. Did the timing belt, etc @100k. Fuel economy runs 32-34 mpg. Needs heated seats, a better climate control system and upgraded stereo. Never understood why a car like this didn't come with foglights (I added aftermarket). I intend on giving this car to my son in another 3 years. All in all one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever owned... Honda/Acura does build a quality product.
Favorite Features
High revving V-Tech engine, 5 speed transmission, crisp handling, fuel economy (runs fine on regular unleaded), very few sold - stands out a bit from the "crowd".
Suggested Improvements
Std foglights, heated seats with memory feature, more precise climate control and rear window that opens - even a little would improve ventilation. Actually, none of the above will happen since Acura stopped production of the CL in 2003.