1998 Acura CL Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:
Great car
By AcuraLuvr on 05/15/08 11:41 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 2dr Coupe

This is a fun car to drive. It has held up well against time. Very few problems, considering its age. People come up and ask me if this is a new car. The paint looks new. I hope to put a couple more hundred thousand miles on it!

Wonderful Driving Experience
By RMOOS on 02/21/08 10:07 AM (PST)

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

The VTEC engine is well built and engineered, just like all Honda vehicles. I'm impressed and still hope to drive this car for over 250K miles. Great used car for the price. Is very much underated for what you can do with engine versus the price of a new model. If you can find one in relatively good condition buy it like I did.

Great Car!!!
By easydental on 01/31/07 23:21 PM (PST)

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 2dr Coupe

I bought this '98 car new in 3/99. Now I have 140,000 miles on it. Car is trouble-free, very reliable, and a great performer. Apart from usual maintenance, this car is very inexpensive to own and operate. Still solid after all this time.

Everyday Driver
By snowdogg on 09/12/06 00:18 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

Bought used with 42K miles - hard to believe it is only a 4 banger... really moves out with the 5 speed. Everything still works and I put 65 miles on it daily commuting. Never any problems mechanically. Have replaced the exhaust twice (Vermont winters are hard on a car) and gone through 2 sets of tires in 80K miles. Did the timing belt, etc @100k. Fuel economy runs 32-34 mpg. Needs heated seats, a better climate control system and upgraded stereo. Never understood why a car like this didn't come with foglights (I added aftermarket). I intend on giving this car to my son in another 3 years. All in all one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever owned... Honda/Acura does build a quality product.

Wish they still made the CL's
By mlp211 on 05/06/06 15:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

Fun to drive, great comfort, put Yokohama AVID V4's it handles great in every weather condition, on dry roads its a blast. Love the 5 speed tranny.

Great Car Great Value
By easydental on 02/05/06 21:55 PM (PST)

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 2dr Coupe

Bought this car new and have had only one problem with it. The passenger-side windows attenuator went bad 2 times. One time it was covered under warranty. The 2nd time it cost $350 to replace at the dealer. This is a great car. Very reliable and dependable. Somewhat sporty and has great torque to blast you out of tight spots. Inexpensive to maintain (it really is a somewhat upgraded Accord Coupe).

I'll never give it up!
By Tankerkev on 09/30/05 02:30 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 2dr Coupe

I bought this car over seven years ago, but it seems like yesterday. It still looks great and is very reliable. It has a luxurious cabin and smooth ride that helps me unwind on the way home from work. It has features that you normally have to pay much more for. I'll never sell this car, keeping it in my family until it quits, and I don't ever see that happening!

Good Car, Not So Good Tranny
By Tim on 07/07/05 21:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

Bought the car from a local Acura dealer with 66k miles in Feb 2004 (3.0 premium). Car was (then) mechanically perfect and ran flawlessly. Now at 85k, the tranny is slipping and has been periodically for the last 10k miles. Fortunately, I have a warranty that will replace it. Wish I could drop a 5-speed but the cost would be around 8-10k, way too much money. So except for the one huge problem, this car is fantastic. Build quality is typical Honda, interior has held up great, very nice all around. I'm actually thinking of getting a 2.3 stick as a 2nd vehicle.

Ode to the CLs
By MB Finck on 06/29/05 14:08 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I am a huge fan of my Acura CL. I was really disappointed when the line was discontinued. With under 115k on it, I can't see any reason to trade it in for at least another 85k miles. Was originally wanting the Honda Accord which had just been redisgned, but because of extended backlogs ... I looked at the Acura CL instead. It was fate ... I have been loving my car ever sense.

Awesome car
By Jess on 04/13/05 23:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I think this is about the 15th car I've owned in my life and it is without a doubt my favorite. I love to drive this car! It is fast, smooth, stable, quiet, and comfortable. I work out of my car and drive 30,000+ miles per year. With gas prices climbing I have been driving "economy" cars and went out on a limb to buy this car used. It not as fuel efficient as the econoboxes but I will never go back. I actually look forward to making long trips on back roads with this car. I owned a Miata a few years ago and this car is faster with way more comfort and polish. I had to rebuild the auto transmission at 110,000 but everything else works great.