Used 1998 Acura CL 2.3 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Acura Cl - Consumer Reviews

1998 Acura CL Coupe

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Awesome car!
By KevinC

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

I bought the car in 2002 with 82,000 miles on it. It now has 122,000 miles and is still tight and reliable. Other than brakes, tires, and oil changes this car has been nearly trouble free. I did have to replace the driver's side electric window motor.

Favorite Features

Audio, and cruise control functions on the steering wheel. Comfortable seats, good support on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Better bass for the sound system.

Great Car
By Insomniac

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

Great car, great mileage, fun to drive. Some problems with a rattle in the dash, otherwise perfect.

Favorite Features

Homelink, stereo controls

Suggested Improvements

Stereo a little weak, low HP by todays standards.

Ok Car
By Molon

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

Upscale Honda Accord. Transmission replaced at a little over 100K. Driver side window broke around 50K. Radiator leaked and replaced at 70K. Gas mileage only average, but I got a lead foot. Interior quality excellent with easy to use controls. Rear seat room tiny, I'm 5'9". Acceleration only average due to 4 cyl and the car weighs a lot. Sound insulation only average, as road noise is prevalent. Air conditioner is not that strong for summer usage.

Favorite Features

Comfortable to drive, good visibility all around.

Suggested Improvements

Transmissions need to last longer. More responsive handling. Improve gas mileage. Quieter engine.

Greatest car everq
By Big John from PA

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

Bought the 1998 2.3 coupe in Jan 1998 and here in June 2004 I have never, ever spent one single cent on a repair bill. Maintenance yes, like tires, oil, air filter, belts, no hoses yet and it has 95500. Does not leak one drop of oil or burn it either. Gets 31mpg hwy.

Favorite Features

Handling with the low profile, v-rated tires is incredible and precise. The ride comfort is very smooth.

Suggested Improvements

The turn radius is unbeleivably huge. You start turning the wheel and bam it stops! I can make a tighter sharper turn with my Ranger extended cab truck...literally.

Could be better (Transmission Problems)
By CLCoupe

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

I own this car for 5 years and never had any electrical problems, but something is wrong with Acura/Honda's 1997-1998 transmission. I bumped into another car lightly (no dents or paint chipping off, no damage whatsoever), then my transmission acted awkwardly and shifts very hard. The transmission were free of charge though. This didn't only happened to my car, it also happened to 2 of my other friends who owns a 1997 prelude and 1998 Accord. Same symtoms from VERY light head-ons. BEWARE!!! Honda might be trying to cover up this problem.

Favorite Features

Good car overall, except for the transmission.

Suggested Improvements

FIX that transmission!!!