1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

1998 Acura Cl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:

1998 CL Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Solid Car
By Steve

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I purchased the car with about 40k and have run it up to 150k. It has been mostly trouble free. The only major expense was a new alternator. It's a really solid car, now 12 years old the muffler is still the original. The interior has held up well, a few cracks in the drivers seat leather. At this point in time if you are reading this you would be considering a used car purchase, I would suggest it. My 98 has at least another 3 or 4 years of good strong life left in it. If you need a nice, solid two door coupe this would be a very good choice.

Favorite Features

Strong V6, Quiet Cabin, Quality Materials, Inexpensive to fix if you stay away from a dealership.

Suggested Improvements

A full size spare.

Fabulous
By cammi450

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2/08. I figured it would get me through a few years until I could buy something "better". But I absolutely LOVE this car. It is beautiful (people think it is only a few years old) and extremely reliable (over 150,000 miles). I have only had to replace brakes and the alternator. I will not sell it anytime soon.

Favorite Features

The quick response and smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

The turning radius is horrible. And...my Bose system went out (had to replace it with a store bought radio/CD player).

Great Car!
By Rita

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car after owning a crappy VW Passat 2 years ago. This car has been great; no problems in general. The gas mileage can be rough if you want to get moving fast, but otherwise, not bad for a V6. (I typically get about 25 mpg in city traffic.) I would definitely recommend this car to anyone looking to buy a car that's a lot of fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Power, sunroof, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Nothing that I can think of. It's been a great car.

Most reliable vehicle ever... first love
By smootherida

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

This car is and will always be my first love. First, the ride is incredibly smooth. It handles well for an expensive honda, and anywhere you drive it will feel like a great cruise. Also has some nice juice/kick to it. Second, she is built to last. With the exception of the transmission, which I've had to replace 2 times, this vehicle took me through everything. I went through a snowstorm driving through Yosemite, Reno, and the Sierras in a span of 2 days (long story) and she never broke down on me during or even after the trip. I had her at 35k and drove her to 185k in 7 years. I have a new G37 coupe and I still won't give up my CL. It is that great of a ride.

Favorite Features

Interior design, comfortability, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission problems

Good Car, Not So Good Tranny
By Tim

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

Bought the car from a local Acura dealer with 66k miles in Feb 2004 (3.0 premium). Car was (then) mechanically perfect and ran flawlessly. Now at 85k, the tranny is slipping and has been periodically for the last 10k miles. Fortunately, I have a warranty that will replace it. Wish I could drop a 5-speed but the cost would be around 8-10k, way too much money. So except for the one huge problem, this car is fantastic. Build quality is typical Honda, interior has held up great, very nice all around. I'm actually thinking of getting a 2.3 stick as a 2nd vehicle.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel radio controls, plush interior, automatic temp control, exterior style, uniqueness (I maybe see 1 a day, if that, unlike accords), and pretty much everything is standard.

Suggested Improvements

3.0 transmission. I believe Honda/Acura extended the tranny warranty for the 2000-2002 CL 3.2 as they are notorious for failures. Too bad they won't extend the older CL's.

Ode to the CLs
By MB Finck

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I am a huge fan of my Acura CL. I was really disappointed when the line was discontinued. With under 115k on it, I can't see any reason to trade it in for at least another 85k miles. Was originally wanting the Honda Accord which had just been redisgned, but because of extended backlogs ... I looked at the Acura CL instead. It was fate ... I have been loving my car ever sense.

Favorite Features

The sporty look and feel to the car make it a blast to drive. The car still has a solid feel to it, even after 7 years.

Suggested Improvements

Sort of a moot point, my suggestion ... bring it back and make it more in line with the RL class and not the TL class. The market could stand a few hot, upper end coupes to compete with BMW and Mercedes.

Awesome car
By Jess

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I think this is about the 15th car I've owned in my life and it is without a doubt my favorite. I love to drive this car! It is fast, smooth, stable, quiet, and comfortable. I work out of my car and drive 30,000+ miles per year. With gas prices climbing I have been driving "economy" cars and went out on a limb to buy this car used. It not as fuel efficient as the econoboxes but I will never go back. I actually look forward to making long trips on back roads with this car. I owned a Miata a few years ago and this car is faster with way more comfort and polish. I had to rebuild the auto transmission at 110,000 but everything else works great.

Favorite Features

The engine is awesome. The car eats potholes and rough pavement while always feeling connected to the road. The view out while driving is impressive to everone who gets in the car. The brakes are excellent.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the climate control system, occasionally will seem to be running heat and a/c at the same time. Memory seats would be nice. I guess the newer models have them. It really torque steers alot under hard acceleration. I don't know if there is a fix for this.

1998 Acura CL 3.0 Premium
By Bongo

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I Have absolutley loved this car, I have 95,000 miles on it currently. I've had nothing go wrong at all. Literally, the only money I've had to spend on service/repairs/maintenance for this car is for tires and brakes. One bit of advice that I learned the hard way...stick with factory parts and dealer service regardless of how much money you think you can save going elsewhere. I've owned Acura's since 1987, I keep trying European and American vehicles and always come back to Acura after having bad experiences due to expensive and frequent repairs. I suppose the only complaint I have is that the low beam headlights aren't sufficient at illuminating the road.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Plenty of power. Good in dash CD sound system. Visibility of road from cockpit. Good leather on seats. Did I mention reliability!

Suggested Improvements

Better headlights.

what a car!!!!!
By Vlad kILMOR

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

call me crazy,I PUT MY 91 CHEVY SUBURBAN AWAY TO LOOK FOR A BETTER CAR, I NOW OWN A AFFORDABLE , EFFICENT, & FUN 3.0, I MAINLY GOTIT TO SAVE ON GAS, 20/28 CITY/HWY, I'VE GOTTON MORE THAN A BARGIN, I THINK ITS A BLESSING, COMPLETE PACKAGE I WILL ONLY UPGRADE WITH SAFETY TINTS AND MAYBE A AIRHORN, NOTHING ELSE IS NEEDED TO MAKE IT NICE, ACURA DID THERE HOME WORK ONCE AGAIN. TEST DRIVE & SEE FOR YOURSELF.

Favorite Features

REMOTE CONTROL ON STEERING WHEEL, FACTORY ALARM/KEYLESS ENTRY,

Suggested Improvements

A LITTLE BETTER SOUND, MORE BASS, & HIGHS.

Beautiful car...Wondeful ride
By Dean127

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

This is my 2nd CL 3.0 I have owned. Simply the best car I have driven to date. The car is going on 6 yrs old and still purrrrrs along like a kitten. I have only done preventative maintennace on the car and changed out the tires when they were worn-out. A mechanics dream to work on...the plugs are all right there to pull out and oil changes are a breeze

Favorite Features

In the winter, the heated seats are an absolute MUST HAVE. I also love how the sun/moon roof slides INTO the car giving the car a great profile. I would rec'd this car to anyone in search of an thoroughly enjoyable ride and headache-free ownership

Suggested Improvements

Any improvements I would have suggested were made in the newer versions of the car...it's unfortunate they are no longer going to produce the CL model.