Used 1998 Acura CL 3.0 Premium Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Acura CL Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Solid Car
By Steve

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I purchased the car with about 40k and have run it up to 150k. It has been mostly trouble free. The only major expense was a new alternator. It's a really solid car, now 12 years old the muffler is still the original. The interior has held up well, a few cracks in the drivers seat leather. At this point in time if you are reading this you would be considering a used car purchase, I would suggest it. My 98 has at least another 3 or 4 years of good strong life left in it. If you need a nice, solid two door coupe this would be a very good choice.

Strong V6, Quiet Cabin, Quality Materials, Inexpensive to fix if you stay away from a dealership.

A full size spare.

Fabulous
By cammi450

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2/08. I figured it would get me through a few years until I could buy something "better". But I absolutely LOVE this car. It is beautiful (people think it is only a few years old) and extremely reliable (over 150,000 miles). I have only had to replace brakes and the alternator. I will not sell it anytime soon.

The quick response and smooth ride.

The turning radius is horrible. And...my Bose system went out (had to replace it with a store bought radio/CD player).

Great Car!
By Rita

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car after owning a crappy VW Passat 2 years ago. This car has been great; no problems in general. The gas mileage can be rough if you want to get moving fast, but otherwise, not bad for a V6. (I typically get about 25 mpg in city traffic.) I would definitely recommend this car to anyone looking to buy a car that's a lot of fun to drive.

Power, sunroof, reliability

Nothing that I can think of. It's been a great car.

Most reliable vehicle ever... first love
By smootherida

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

This car is and will always be my first love. First, the ride is incredibly smooth. It handles well for an expensive honda, and anywhere you drive it will feel like a great cruise. Also has some nice juice/kick to it. Second, she is built to last. With the exception of the transmission, which I've had to replace 2 times, this vehicle took me through everything. I went through a snowstorm driving through Yosemite, Reno, and the Sierras in a span of 2 days (long story) and she never broke down on me during or even after the trip. I had her at 35k and drove her to 185k in 7 years. I have a new G37 coupe and I still won't give up my CL. It is that great of a ride.

Interior design, comfortability, reliability.

Transmission problems

Good Car, Not So Good Tranny
By Tim

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

Bought the car from a local Acura dealer with 66k miles in Feb 2004 (3.0 premium). Car was (then) mechanically perfect and ran flawlessly. Now at 85k, the tranny is slipping and has been periodically for the last 10k miles. Fortunately, I have a warranty that will replace it. Wish I could drop a 5-speed but the cost would be around 8-10k, way too much money. So except for the one huge problem, this car is fantastic. Build quality is typical Honda, interior has held up great, very nice all around. I'm actually thinking of getting a 2.3 stick as a 2nd vehicle.

Steering wheel radio controls, plush interior, automatic temp control, exterior style, uniqueness (I maybe see 1 a day, if that, unlike accords), and pretty much everything is standard.

3.0 transmission. I believe Honda/Acura extended the tranny warranty for the 2000-2002 CL 3.2 as they are notorious for failures. Too bad they won't extend the older CL's.