Used 1998 Acura CL 2.3 Premium Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Acura CL Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:

I love this car
By nrajoppe

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

This is my first car, drove it on my permit since the day I got it and now driving it on my license for 2 months. This car is pretty fun to drive as my first car with a 5 speed manual. Reliability? This car wrote the book on it. Which is what every Honda/Acura has come to know and love. It has 267k miles and runs like new, no major repairs on it ever. Every one of my friends says it runs like new as well. It's pretty quick, I've beaten a few v6 mustangs, older maxima, and mitsubishi eclipse, so it's not slow. Overall an amazing car for the value and an amazing first car. It's very luxurious, not like driving in a super light hatchback Civic.

You can feel how well built the car is every time you drive it. I'm a kid so I beat the crap out of it revving the engine past 4000 all the time and never a problem. I'm getting around 21mpg around town about 28 highway, just like the reviews say.

The V6 is probably more fun with another 50hp, but I've also heard the 3.0l has a couple of problems.

11 Years and going
By Seth

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

I've had my CL for almost 12 years and it's still a fine piece of machinery ( 206,780 miles thus far). Over the years, I had very few "major" repairs to the car such as exhaust system replacement. It still maintains many original parts. If you have an opportunity to buy this car, you should do it (especially if it has low mileage). It will pay for itself in a short period of time.

Stereo features on steering wheel, homelink, A/C (it works extremely well (if I set it for 68 degrees on a 90 degrees day, it will reach that temperature in no time flat).

Better speakers/sound system...

THE BEST
By Cory

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

I own a 98 acura cl 2.3 5 spd tranny and it is amazing . My vehicle has over 200k and STILL RUNNING like new. No Major Problems for the mileage. All my Suspension/steering parts are still factory and not worn out YET. Car is 100% reliable and would rec. to any body looking for a Cheap reliable used car Awesome car!!!

Every thing

Turbo charger

Wonderful Driving Experience
By RMOOS

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

The VTEC engine is well built and engineered, just like all Honda vehicles. I'm impressed and still hope to drive this car for over 250K miles. Great used car for the price. Is very much underated for what you can do with engine versus the price of a new model. If you can find one in relatively good condition buy it like I did.

VTEC engine, smooth ride and handling.

Everyday Driver
By snowdogg

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

Bought used with 42K miles - hard to believe it is only a 4 banger... really moves out with the 5 speed. Everything still works and I put 65 miles on it daily commuting. Never any problems mechanically. Have replaced the exhaust twice (Vermont winters are hard on a car) and gone through 2 sets of tires in 80K miles. Did the timing belt, etc @100k. Fuel economy runs 32-34 mpg. Needs heated seats, a better climate control system and upgraded stereo. Never understood why a car like this didn't come with foglights (I added aftermarket). I intend on giving this car to my son in another 3 years. All in all one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever owned... Honda/Acura does build a quality product.

High revving V-Tech engine, 5 speed transmission, crisp handling, fuel economy (runs fine on regular unleaded), very few sold - stands out a bit from the "crowd".

Std foglights, heated seats with memory feature, more precise climate control and rear window that opens - even a little would improve ventilation. Actually, none of the above will happen since Acura stopped production of the CL in 2003.