1998 Acura CL Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:
Ok Car
By Molon on 05/13/10 16:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

Upscale Honda Accord. Transmission replaced at a little over 100K. Driver side window broke around 50K. Radiator leaked and replaced at 70K. Gas mileage only average, but I got a lead foot. Interior quality excellent with easy to use controls. Rear seat room tiny, I'm 5'9". Acceleration only average due to 4 cyl and the car weighs a lot. Sound insulation only average, as road noise is prevalent. Air conditioner is not that strong for summer usage.

Greatest car everq
By Big John from PA on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

Bought the 1998 2.3 coupe in Jan 1998 and here in June 2004 I have never, ever spent one single cent on a repair bill. Maintenance yes, like tires, oil, air filter, belts, no hoses yet and it has 95500. Does not leak one drop of oil or burn it either. Gets 31mpg hwy.

Awesome car!
By KevinC on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

I bought the car in 2002 with 82,000 miles on it. It now has 122,000 miles and is still tight and reliable. Other than brakes, tires, and oil changes this car has been nearly trouble free. I did have to replace the driver's side electric window motor.

Could be better (Transmission Problems)
By CLCoupe on 11/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

I own this car for 5 years and never had any electrical problems, but something is wrong with Acura/Honda's 1997-1998 transmission. I bumped into another car lightly (no dents or paint chipping off, no damage whatsoever), then my transmission acted awkwardly and shifts very hard. The transmission were free of charge though. This didn't only happened to my car, it also happened to 2 of my other friends who owns a 1997 prelude and 1998 Accord. Same symtoms from VERY light head-ons. BEWARE!!! Honda might be trying to cover up this problem.

Great Car
By Insomniac on 08/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

Great car, great mileage, fun to drive. Some problems with a rattle in the dash, otherwise perfect.

Love it but...
By Honda4life on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

I've had the car for almost 2 yrs now, and I do truely love it. Only a couple problems, I have this annoying rattle noise in the dashboard, in happens when I go over rough road and I cant for the life of me find it. I also have an annoying metallic chatter from under the front-end when the car rev's threw 1800rpm, sounds like it could be the heat shield, but I have checked it and it's tight. And lastly it has developed a exhaust leak in the S-pipe, rusted out from what I can see. The car is only 4 yrs old. I am very disappointed at this, seeing as my previous car, a '93 Acura Integra GS went over 8 yrs and 100k miles before needing exhaust work.

The Perfect Car
By Isaiah on 03/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

This is my second Acura, and I am spoiled. In the four years that I have had the car, the only service has been an oil change. When I see the service problems and little things going wrong that people with GM and Ford and Chrysler cars put up with in the first couple years of ownership, I can only laugh at what they call "value" and reliability.