Used 1998 Acura CL Coupe Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Acura CL Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Long Live the Acura CL
By theffin@hotmail.com

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 2dr Coupe

Absolutely loved this car. The way it drove, handled, the comfort, and everything! Strongly reliable and it's so quiet in the cab. For a small car it also had some kick. Also this car still has some style if kept in good condition. Would definitely recommend this vehicle for anybody. I had to sell mine due to an expanding family and I'm still wishing I kept it!

I love this car
By nrajoppe

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

This is my first car, drove it on my permit since the day I got it and now driving it on my license for 2 months. This car is pretty fun to drive as my first car with a 5 speed manual. Reliability? This car wrote the book on it. Which is what every Honda/Acura has come to know and love. It has 267k miles and runs like new, no major repairs on it ever. Every one of my friends says it runs like new as well. It's pretty quick, I've beaten a few v6 mustangs, older maxima, and mitsubishi eclipse, so it's not slow. Overall an amazing car for the value and an amazing first car. It's very luxurious, not like driving in a super light hatchback Civic.

You can feel how well built the car is every time you drive it. I'm a kid so I beat the crap out of it revving the engine past 4000 all the time and never a problem. I'm getting around 21mpg around town about 28 highway, just like the reviews say.

The V6 is probably more fun with another 50hp, but I've also heard the 3.0l has a couple of problems.

Ok Car
By Molon

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 2dr Coupe

Upscale Honda Accord. Transmission replaced at a little over 100K. Driver side window broke around 50K. Radiator leaked and replaced at 70K. Gas mileage only average, but I got a lead foot. Interior quality excellent with easy to use controls. Rear seat room tiny, I'm 5'9". Acceleration only average due to 4 cyl and the car weighs a lot. Sound insulation only average, as road noise is prevalent. Air conditioner is not that strong for summer usage.

Comfortable to drive, good visibility all around.

Transmissions need to last longer. More responsive handling. Improve gas mileage. Quieter engine.

11 Years and going
By Seth

1998 Acura CL Coupe 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

I've had my CL for almost 12 years and it's still a fine piece of machinery ( 206,780 miles thus far). Over the years, I had very few "major" repairs to the car such as exhaust system replacement. It still maintains many original parts. If you have an opportunity to buy this car, you should do it (especially if it has low mileage). It will pay for itself in a short period of time.

Stereo features on steering wheel, homelink, A/C (it works extremely well (if I set it for 68 degrees on a 90 degrees day, it will reach that temperature in no time flat).

Better speakers/sound system...

Solid Car
By Steve

1998 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I purchased the car with about 40k and have run it up to 150k. It has been mostly trouble free. The only major expense was a new alternator. It's a really solid car, now 12 years old the muffler is still the original. The interior has held up well, a few cracks in the drivers seat leather. At this point in time if you are reading this you would be considering a used car purchase, I would suggest it. My 98 has at least another 3 or 4 years of good strong life left in it. If you need a nice, solid two door coupe this would be a very good choice.

Strong V6, Quiet Cabin, Quality Materials, Inexpensive to fix if you stay away from a dealership.

A full size spare.