1998 Acura CL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:
I love this car
By nrajoppe on 02/02/13 06:47 AM (PST)

1998 Acura CL 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

This is my first car, drove it on my permit since the day I got it and now driving it on my license for 2 months. This car is pretty fun to drive as my first car with a 5 speed manual. Reliability? This car wrote the book on it. Which is what every Honda/Acura has come to know and love. It has 267k miles and runs like new, no major repairs on it ever. Every one of my friends says it runs like new as well. It's pretty quick, I've beaten a few v6 mustangs, older maxima, and mitsubishi eclipse, so it's not slow. Overall an amazing car for the value and an amazing first car. It's very luxurious, not like driving in a super light hatchback Civic.

11 Years and going
By Seth on 04/30/10 08:35 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

I've had my CL for almost 12 years and it's still a fine piece of machinery ( 206,780 miles thus far). Over the years, I had very few "major" repairs to the car such as exhaust system replacement. It still maintains many original parts. If you have an opportunity to buy this car, you should do it (especially if it has low mileage). It will pay for itself in a short period of time.

THE BEST
By Cory on 01/18/10 12:45 PM (PST)

1998 Acura CL 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

I own a 98 acura cl 2.3 5 spd tranny and it is amazing . My vehicle has over 200k and STILL RUNNING like new. No Major Problems for the mileage. All my Suspension/steering parts are still factory and not worn out YET. Car is 100% reliable and would rec. to any body looking for a Cheap reliable used car Awesome car!!!

Wonderful Driving Experience
By RMOOS on 02/21/08 10:07 AM (PST)

1998 Acura CL 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

The VTEC engine is well built and engineered, just like all Honda vehicles. I'm impressed and still hope to drive this car for over 250K miles. Great used car for the price. Is very much underated for what you can do with engine versus the price of a new model. If you can find one in relatively good condition buy it like I did.

Everyday Driver
By snowdogg on 09/12/06 00:18 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

Bought used with 42K miles - hard to believe it is only a 4 banger... really moves out with the 5 speed. Everything still works and I put 65 miles on it daily commuting. Never any problems mechanically. Have replaced the exhaust twice (Vermont winters are hard on a car) and gone through 2 sets of tires in 80K miles. Did the timing belt, etc @100k. Fuel economy runs 32-34 mpg. Needs heated seats, a better climate control system and upgraded stereo. Never understood why a car like this didn't come with foglights (I added aftermarket). I intend on giving this car to my son in another 3 years. All in all one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever owned... Honda/Acura does build a quality product.

Wish they still made the CL's
By mlp211 on 05/06/06 15:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

Fun to drive, great comfort, put Yokohama AVID V4's it handles great in every weather condition, on dry roads its a blast. Love the 5 speed tranny.

Harry's 2.3 CL
By Harry on 04/10/05 20:34 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

I've usually driven coupes, including two top-of-the-line BMWs. There isn't a better combination of elegance, looks, economy and comfort (I'm 6'2") around for twice the price. I get 31-34 mpg on the interstate and 22-24 in LA traffic. It is quiet with great ergonomics and despite its 4-cylinder engine, it's fast and responsive enough for all but the most egregious showoffs.

My First Car
By shellyrae on 01/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Acura CL 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

My parents purchased a black 2.3 CL for me when I was 16. I absolutely love it. It handles well and is a joy to drive. Very solid car. Takes curves with ease and precision. It has 98,000 miles now, and I have never had any mechanical problems and the interior still looks new. Fuel economy is good; it will easily get 300 mi/tank. I get compliments on it all the time!

2.3 CL
By docmaller on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Acura CL 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

Wonderful combination of elegance, enjoyable driving, economy, and quality. Unbelievable for the money.

Best B-Day Present Ever!
By Mike Z on 12/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Acura CL 2.3 Premium 2dr Coupe

My parents got me this for my b-day with 54,300 miles on it. Today is my 16th, they gave it to me with a full tank of gas and I already put 330 miles on it with a quarter tank to go..my dad's car would be drained by now. This car is excellent, it handles well.