Used 1997 Acura CL Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Acura Cl - Consumer Reviews

1997 Acura CL Coupe

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Such a solid car
By ztiger93

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

It says a lot that the most difficult thing I've had to deal with in 6-1/2 years is a window motor. This car is not fast, but it's not meant to be (which saves on insurance). My next car will be another Acura for sure -- but not until the day comes that I need to add two more doors.

Favorite Features

Comfort and enough acceleration when you need it; truly reliable transportation. A/C has been very good to me in Florida (6 years until its first recharge) and climate control has been a huge plus. Everyone compliments the ride. And it looks great with the dealer's spoiler.

Suggested Improvements

Anyone who knows how to trick out a Civic or Accord could make this into a flyer. Wish I had the money to do it.

97 Acura 2.2 CL
By dilwin

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

I bought this car a month back and so far I've been very satisfied. The car looks great both inside (polished wood- like panelling) and outside and I admit that was the main reason I went for it. It drives great though the engine feels the strain when there are more than 3 occupants (it's a 4 cyl 2.2 L engine). It handles superbly and even though its a big car (it's as long as a taurus) it maneuvers like a smaller car. I've had no problems parking it in tight spaces. The a/c unit doesn't cool the air inside immediately on +90F days.

Favorite Features

interior wooden panelling, ergomic seats, intuitive and easy to operate controls, sleek exterior design.

go 2,2cl!!!!!
By mark1

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

This is my second Acura - liked my original Integra very much, but the 2.2cl is sportier and more fun to drive. It is thoroughly reliable and quick to respond and easy to handle. I have only had the usual repairs, brake pads + replacing the timing belt at 90,000 miles.

Favorite Features

The 1997 2.2cl is like a reliable old, good friend - ready to go anywhere cheerfully. Its styling is still sharp and it has a timeless clasic feel to it.

Suggested Improvements

Drawbacks: Great in snow but not as great in rain around turns & going uphill.The doors are heavy & open wide & low. Otherwise - a real workhorse.

Buying this car was not an accident
By Diva13

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2000 it had 7000 miles on it I think it was a demo. It has been the best card I've owned No mantiance problem since i've had it. I resently has an really bad accident, an the police officer said that having this car saved my life. I walked away with out a scatch. They don't build them like this anymore. My next car will most likely be an Acura.

Favorite Features

sunroof, sound system, soft leather interior, No maintiance problems

Suggested Improvements

None

This thing is sick
By Johnny Dukes

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

This car is unreal. It combines the technological masterpiece of Variable Valve Timing (VTEC) with a sleek look and Honda- esque reliability. I got mine with 73,000 miles for around 8,000. A Honda Accord would've been a cheaper investment with similar results, but I went for the head-turner instead and am very pleased with the results I got.

Favorite Features

5 speed manual trans. is smooth. Interior are exterior are both beautiful. 2.2 Liter VTEC runs like a 3 liter V6 with better pickup and fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Some rattling in the dash, and the rubber around the moonroof has been damaged by the sun (may not be a design flaw).