1997 Acura CL Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:
smart alternative to new car
By Duce68 on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

All the reliablity you'd expect in a compact, nice looking package with top notch materials. After 10k miles with this car, I haven't been happier.

Unreliable Disappointment
By Brian DC on 01/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

My CL 3.0 has 77K miles on it, and has had numerous repairs since the warranty expired including bad alternator ($300+), bad transmission (remanufactured $2500+), check engine emissions($250). Parts are expensive for this car. What has happenned to Acura reliability? This will be my last Acura. I will purchase a long extended warranty if I ever were to get a Honda/Acura product again. Also this car has developed a LOT of noisiness and squeaks in the last few years. The CL is great for highway drives, comfortable and fast on the highway. Has a nice set of standard options and great V6 engine.

A nice car
By smilee on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

I bought this one in 1996, and it's been the best vehicle I have owned.

Great value!!!!
By rcthornton on 12/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

The CL is a great car! I bought mine about 3 years ago with 50k on it, now I have 95k. No problems at all, just your basic maintenance. The car handles wonderfully for a luxury car. Best of both worlds, all in one package! I would buy another one if I was to sell it.

CL 2.2
By 2.2 Cl on 09/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

I own a '97 Acura CL premium. The car currently has 100k. I've had no problems until about 95k. Even then - nothing major: replaced a hose and a starter. Very reliable, great all- around car.

Heartbreaker
By Radiomom on 08/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I've loved this car from the moment we test drove it. I've babied it & always used the terrific dealer service). After 5 years, I have just had my first major mechanical problem, and it's a biggie -- transmission. I'm making the investment ($3600 - Acura chipped in with $900 off and a free rental) to keep it going for at least a few more years. The sound system is unmatched in any car I've been in. Little things, like the leather starting to give on the seams, and the door on my glasses box (under the CD player) busting a hinge are my only annoyances. sigh. And that the transmission should go bad...

dissapointed
By ALJABR on 08/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

We bought this car used in 2000 (45,000 mi)and we've put about 32,000 miles on it since then. So far we've had a check engine problem-$250+ , a window motor failing- $300+, a bad alternator, $300+. This is not my idea of reliable. During the same time period I've spent less than $300 fixing my 1989 Honda Accord (186,000 mi.) The tires are awfully expensive to buy for this car and hard to find. About $150-200 EACH. This car is definitely overrated.

Great Car
By unangst on 05/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for my wife in 97. In 2000 I bought my wife a BMW. She still loves the CL drive better.

Great Car...
By JSF on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I've owned this vehicle almost 5 years now, and I've yet to have a problem with it. I'd definitely would recommend this car to anyone looking for a fun reliable car.

Simply The BEST
By KenNJ on 04/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I'm no kid, I've been driving for 32 years. I've owned a '72 Datsun 240Z and '70 Dodge Charger SE, so I'm no stranger to performance cars. Without a doubt, the CL is the most luxurious sport sedan I've personally owned or driven. Reliability is fantastic and the fuel economy is great for the 6 cyl (better than my Toyota Avalon's), which is no mean feat. The car is so well put together, ya can hardly tell when you're well over the speed limit