1997 Acura CL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:
The finest car
By 413sqn on 05/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL 2.2 2dr Coupe

A delightful well build head turner when waxed and polished...

Faulty Hub/Wheel Bearing Assembly
By bkmitroy on 05/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

Purchased my Acura CL (2.2 Premium) with 44K Miles on it. I had regular maintenance done and vehicle was performing fine - till I hit 70K mi. I started hearing humming noice from up front. It gradually grew in intensity to the point where it is unbearble. I am at 72K mi. Dealer investigated issue and says hub/wheel bearings are worn out and I have to replace front wheel and bearing assembly for $900!!! I was shocked. This is my second Honda vehicle and I did not expect this from Acura. You pay a lot for Acuras because of the reliability factor - if you are not getting this, what is the point? Spoke to Acura, got a cold reply: Your vehicle is not in warranty.

DAMN!! Nice Car kid!
By P. Fitzgerald on 05/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

My daughter bought this car used then left it at home when she went to college. I have been driving it in the mean time. I am no fan of japanese cars. I think they are over priced and over rated. BUT...this car is exceptional. It handles very well and accelerates with ease. It is one of the smoothest running cars I've ever driven. I race a 5.0 Mustang in SCCA and this car is almost as fun to drive. It certainly has better road manners and leaves you looking forward to the next time you drive it. My only complaints...the nasty torque steer under hard acceleration, and the road noise (a little too much for a car in this class).

Excellent Car
By DKB30 on 04/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL 2.2 2dr Coupe

This is the best car I've ever owned. Extremely reliable, looks great even after 6 years and 120000 miles, sporty yet roomy.

A Beautiful Ride
By Melanie Daniels on 04/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I bought my 3.0 Premium CL new in '97, and it still looks stunning in the driveway. Friends (male) have driven it and spontaneously commented on it's truly amazing handling. This car has fantastic road feel and a smooth ride. The CL has enough power at 20-40 mph to scoot you safely into your lane change in city traffic with no sweat. The six speaker BOSE audio system is crystal clear with beautiful dymanics, and it's more than loud enough to hear above freeway noise on the way to the beach. There is also enough head, shoulder and leg room in the rear seat to comfortably accomodate two adults. Six years and not one problem.

My love / hate relationship
By RC30126 on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura CL 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

Bought the car new when it came out in '96 as a '97 model. Since day 1, it has been plagued by squeeks and rattles. Dealership still couldn't fix these after 6 attempts. I enjoy driving the car (when it runs properly), but has been the most aggravating car (and least reliable) I have ever owned. Aside from a ridiculous amount of rattles in the dash, the driver side window motor was replaced, radiator fan, oxygen sensor, transmission.... Will probably never buy another Acura.... and I previously owned 3 other Honda products which NEVER gave me such grief.

up scale honda accord
By sohcvtec on 03/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura CL 2.2 2dr Coupe

the only problems i have had with the car was a leaky fuel injector. I paid for an acura extended warrenty but the dealer wouldn't cover the injecter. outher than that i love the car

I'm VERY happy!
By Lisa11 on 02/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura CL 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

I fell in love with the looks of the vehicle and had to have one. Acceleration is good for the 2.2 model, although I drop it into 3rd gear for quicker acceleration at take-off and for passing. I enjoy the solidness of the car and it handles well. Trunk space is great. I've never kept a car this long but I believe I'll have a long and happy relationship with my CL and see how long it will run. Maintenance is not too pricey which is a big plus. I actually like the design on my '97 better than the newer ones and so do most of my friends.

I'll buy them again and again
By Mike from Buffalo on 02/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura CL 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

When I purchased the CL prem.w/ a stick, three years old with 33k on the odometer. I now have 104k and have had very little trouble with this car. I'm still on the orginal front brakes, I replace the back at 97k. I replaced a window lift at 95k for $220, muffler at 60k, alignment at 80k for $60. I am amazed at this vehicle and am buying a new TL this spring only because of the new baby coming in June (back door-babyseat). I will always drive Acura

Great Performer
By Tbag on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

A blast to drive. Solid Acura quality. Excellent paint and body work. Looks like new after 65000 miles.