1997 Acura CL Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:
Jewel of a Ride
By Len Morgan on 07/20/09 19:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

Bought my stick 2.2 a year old with only about 8k miles. Only 65k NOW, due to driving 3 other cars, incl. a CRX and Prelude. (Certified Honda nut!). No significant maintenance or driveability problems, even after getting run off a mountain road into a big (life-saving) snowbank in December.

I love this car.
By GB on 02/06/07 12:45 PM (PST)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

This car is very reliable. It's also very fun to drive, good on gas, low maintenance, even better when you the change the oil on schedule and keep it clean.

More repairs than expected
By JBruce on 12/14/05 21:30 PM (PST)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

We bought this CL with 62,000 miles on it and it was 7 years old. It is premium coupe with spoiler, leather seats, sunroof and climate control with CD player. At 80,000 miles, the clutch went out. While in the shop, they found the rear main seal leaking, the plastic radiator leaking, the front CV joints shot and several other smaller problems. Cost about $1,800 to fix. At 105,000 miles, the starter went out and they found the ring gear on the flywheel was shot and loose. Another $400. The security system quit working. We have had 4 other Honda cars, and none of them needed this kind of expensive repairs, even when they were over 100,000 miles. Don' think we recommend a used CL.

Best Car I Ever Owned
By KZone on 09/19/05 12:39 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

I have had this car since new, and after 8 years and 267,000+ miles my CL still looks and drives great. Other than normal maintenance and wear and tear items, no major repairs ever made- I still have the original clutch on my 5 speed manual transmission and get 34 mpg highway, and average 30+ mpg overall.

What Problems?!
By Satisfied CL Owner on 04/04/05 14:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

Purchased my 2.2 CL brand new in 1997. 125k miles later, it's still running wonderfully. I've performed the required maintenance every 7500 miles and it's never had any problem other than replacement of worn parts like brakes, tires, headlights...etc.This car gets the highest rating in reliability. I'm not sure if the other reviewers just got lemons, but driving style, weather, road conditions, and quality of your mechanic do influence how well the car holds up.

Falling out of love with my Acura
By Dr. Rich on 07/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

There were so many things to love about my 97CL: handling, performance, good looks. But alas, during the past 6 months, I've had to replace the starter, AC condenser & evaporator and routine maintenance are costing almost $3,500. I only have 82,000 miles and I really pampered my CL. Sad to say, I don't love this car anymore. Other people will rave about its reliability, but that has not been my experience, and the cost to repair is hideous. My last 2 cars (1989 Camry 146,000 miles and 1994 Nissan Quest 163,000 miles) were not nearly as expensive to maintain. Maybe I expected too much, but I thought this car would last longer without so many repairs!

Buying this car was not an accident
By Diva13 on 08/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2000 it had 7000 miles on it I think it was a demo. It has been the best card I've owned No mantiance problem since i've had it. I resently has an really bad accident, an the police officer said that having this car saved my life. I walked away with out a scatch. They don't build them like this anymore. My next car will most likely be an Acura.

Luxury Value
By Mark Hopler on 06/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

Truly a great car. Stylish withoout being showy. Fun and extremely easy to drive. Lots of room. Seats go way back if needed.

Faulty Hub/Wheel Bearing Assembly
By bkmitroy on 05/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

Purchased my Acura CL (2.2 Premium) with 44K Miles on it. I had regular maintenance done and vehicle was performing fine - till I hit 70K mi. I started hearing humming noice from up front. It gradually grew in intensity to the point where it is unbearble. I am at 72K mi. Dealer investigated issue and says hub/wheel bearings are worn out and I have to replace front wheel and bearing assembly for $900!!! I was shocked. This is my second Honda vehicle and I did not expect this from Acura. You pay a lot for Acuras because of the reliability factor - if you are not getting this, what is the point? Spoke to Acura, got a cold reply: Your vehicle is not in warranty.

My love / hate relationship
By RC30126 on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

Bought the car new when it came out in '96 as a '97 model. Since day 1, it has been plagued by squeeks and rattles. Dealership still couldn't fix these after 6 attempts. I enjoy driving the car (when it runs properly), but has been the most aggravating car (and least reliable) I have ever owned. Aside from a ridiculous amount of rattles in the dash, the driver side window motor was replaced, radiator fan, oxygen sensor, transmission.... Will probably never buy another Acura.... and I previously owned 3 other Honda products which NEVER gave me such grief.