Used 1997 Acura CL 2.2 Premium Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Acura Cl - Consumer Reviews

1997 Acura CL Coupe

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Jewel of a Ride
By Len Morgan

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

Bought my stick 2.2 a year old with only about 8k miles. Only 65k NOW, due to driving 3 other cars, incl. a CRX and Prelude. (Certified Honda nut!). No significant maintenance or driveability problems, even after getting run off a mountain road into a big (life-saving) snowbank in December.

Favorite Features

Non-ostentatious comfort and noteworthy reliability. And we get 30mpg with regularity.

Suggested Improvements

The styling was pretty "tame", even when it was new. Even so, the Hiway Patrol seems to pick up on it pretty easily! (The red paint?)

I love this car.
By GB

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

This car is very reliable. It's also very fun to drive, good on gas, low maintenance, even better when you the change the oil on schedule and keep it clean.

More repairs than expected
By JBruce

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

We bought this CL with 62,000 miles on it and it was 7 years old. It is premium coupe with spoiler, leather seats, sunroof and climate control with CD player. At 80,000 miles, the clutch went out. While in the shop, they found the rear main seal leaking, the plastic radiator leaking, the front CV joints shot and several other smaller problems. Cost about $1,800 to fix. At 105,000 miles, the starter went out and they found the ring gear on the flywheel was shot and loose. Another $400. The security system quit working. We have had 4 other Honda cars, and none of them needed this kind of expensive repairs, even when they were over 100,000 miles. Don' think we recommend a used CL.

Favorite Features

Styling, engine acceleration and fuel mileage, climate control, leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

CL has been discountinued. Acura's new models are getting great reviews and are recommended, but an older CL may not be that reliable

Best Car I Ever Owned
By KZone

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

I have had this car since new, and after 8 years and 267,000+ miles my CL still looks and drives great. Other than normal maintenance and wear and tear items, no major repairs ever made- I still have the original clutch on my 5 speed manual transmission and get 34 mpg highway, and average 30+ mpg overall.

Favorite Features

Great mileage, low maintenance, very reliable car.

Suggested Improvements

Weak rear defrost and driver's side window motor. Steering wheel leather could be better. I would have gotten the 3.0 had it come with a stick.

What Problems?!
By Satisfied CL Owner

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

Purchased my 2.2 CL brand new in 1997. 125k miles later, it's still running wonderfully. I've performed the required maintenance every 7500 miles and it's never had any problem other than replacement of worn parts like brakes, tires, headlights...etc.This car gets the highest rating in reliability. I'm not sure if the other reviewers just got lemons, but driving style, weather, road conditions, and quality of your mechanic do influence how well the car holds up.

Favorite Features

Reliability, uses regular unleaded gas (now @ $2.50/gallon!), sleek design,

Suggested Improvements

more power, better sound system (either that or reduce road noise), fold-down rear seats, get rid of the protruding flip-down handle on driver's seat, it traps the seatbelt everytime!