Used 1997 Acura CL 2.2 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Acura Cl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Most Helpful|
Get one!
By kalzone

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

I've always been a VW/Audi guy and recently bought a used 1997 CL 2.2 for about $1500. Best money I ever spent. I can't believe I got all these option in one package. Engine's good. AC, power seats, sunroof, ABS, radio all work great. Plus it's great on gas. It doesn't corner like an Audi or a VW but close. Has lotsa room and is built tight. VTEC engine performs great and literally sips gas. Why didn't I discover Acuras sooner? Only thing I changed was a ball joint. You can pick these CL's up now for about 2grand and you wont be disappointed. It's a mixture of luxury and performance. It's not a Beemer but is much better than an Accord. My advice, get one!

Favorite Features

The comfort. The seats feel like you're in your LAY- Z-Boy watching TV! The Radio. I changed the radio but the stock speakers and they can handle the juice Fuel economy. I'm not used to big cars. I thought it would be a gas guzler. It's got better mileage than my VW Golf!

Suggested Improvements

-Acura should have made the spoiler standard. Without one, the car looks like something's missing. -Being able to close the sunroof with remote FOB. As you can see these are very picky and shallow requests! The car is great. It's a Honda/Acura so you can easily pimp it out if you wish.

Absolutely the very best!
By bernicee

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

It took no thinking when I asked my family at the dinner table, of all the cars we have ever had what is or was your favorite one? The Acura 2.2CL by far!!! In fact it has come time to sell the car and I cant even talk about it with out crying...lol! (true story) :/ Anyway if your considering buying one BUY IT! I guarantee you will be 100% HAPPY! Yes I said guarantee...! YOU WILL, NO JOKE! Have a wonderful day...

Favorite Features

comfort, sunroof has never leaked or gave us problems, big trunk, fun fun fun to drive, good on gas, just plain looks good, feels good and runs great...

Suggested Improvements

I seriously cant even think of one..lol!

Amazing little car
By Catx

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

I bought my 2.2. CL with 126k, two years ago. It is now at 164k, after a few road trips from California to Texas and back. Not to mention a dozen trips from Mcallen to Houston. I've done all the regular services and the 150k major service. I have not had one problem, it starts and is ready to go at anytime. Great car, good fuel economy, and very reliable.

Favorite Features

fuel economy, flawless manual gear box, sound, fun to drive

Satisfies all your wants
By Nerdboy

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

I originally bought this car because itcost $4,000 less than a comparable usedAccord Coupe and much better drive thana Camry Solara. Now that I've had thecar for a year, I know I made the rightchoice. This car is ultra-smooth on thehighway. In the city, it's veryresponsive and has a stiff ride, but nottoo harsh. It has all the features Ineed and they all work well except forthe ac/heater which is a little slow. On the down side, this car is hard topark in tight spaces because of it'slarge turning radius, but this helps itsstability. The auto is a bit jerky, butsmooth if you accelerate fast enough. The only thing I've had to fix is thepower window motor so far.

Favorite Features

flat torque curve, nice backside, largeand grippy wheels, roomy for a coupe,great handling, ultra quiet when notaccelerating, 30mpg with mostly highwaydriving and synthetic oil, and most ofall it turns heads even after 8 years

Suggested Improvements

smaller turning radius, better cupholders, fold-down rear seats, cheapstereo for an Acura

Very nice car
By sut

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

This car is superb. I loved it. Indeed old but works very good and looks new. Engine is just great. I think mileage is getting less, but everything is good.

Favorite Features

I love the all the luxury facility. Stereo sound is superb. Leather interior good.