1997 Acura CL Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:
Absolutely the very best!
By bernicee on 04/05/14 06:31 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

It took no thinking when I asked my family at the dinner table, of all the cars we have ever had what is or was your favorite one? The Acura 2.2CL by far!!! In fact it has come time to sell the car and I cant even talk about it with out crying...lol! (true story) :/ Anyway if your considering buying one BUY IT! I guarantee you will be 100% HAPPY! Yes I said guarantee...! YOU WILL, NO JOKE! Have a wonderful day...

Amazing little car
By Catx on 05/24/09 13:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

I bought my 2.2. CL with 126k, two years ago. It is now at 164k, after a few road trips from California to Texas and back. Not to mention a dozen trips from Mcallen to Houston. I've done all the regular services and the 150k major service. I have not had one problem, it starts and is ready to go at anytime. Great car, good fuel economy, and very reliable.

Get one!
By kalzone on 05/19/09 07:06 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

I've always been a VW/Audi guy and recently bought a used 1997 CL 2.2 for about $1500. Best money I ever spent. I can't believe I got all these option in one package. Engine's good. AC, power seats, sunroof, ABS, radio all work great. Plus it's great on gas. It doesn't corner like an Audi or a VW but close. Has lotsa room and is built tight. VTEC engine performs great and literally sips gas. Why didn't I discover Acuras sooner? Only thing I changed was a ball joint. You can pick these CL's up now for about 2grand and you wont be disappointed. It's a mixture of luxury and performance. It's not a Beemer but is much better than an Accord. My advice, get one!

Very nice car
By sut on 07/18/06 15:50 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

This car is superb. I loved it. Indeed old but works very good and looks new. Engine is just great. I think mileage is getting less, but everything is good.

Satisfies all your wants
By Nerdboy on 11/29/04 21:41 PM (PST)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

I originally bought this car because itcost $4,000 less than a comparable usedAccord Coupe and much better drive thana Camry Solara. Now that I've had thecar for a year, I know I made the rightchoice. This car is ultra-smooth on thehighway. In the city, it's veryresponsive and has a stiff ride, but nottoo harsh. It has all the features Ineed and they all work well except forthe ac/heater which is a little slow. On the down side, this car is hard topark in tight spaces because of it'slarge turning radius, but this helps itsstability. The auto is a bit jerky, butsmooth if you accelerate fast enough. The only thing I've had to fix is thepower window motor so far.

LOVE THIS CAR
By WING AND A 5 SPEED on 07/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

OWNING THIS CAR HAS BEEN A TREAT. THE MOST RELIABLE EVER. IT STILL LOOKS NEW! ONLY THING EVER NEEDED WAS NEW TIRES. AT 7 YRS. IT STILL TURNS HEADS. MAKES LOOKING FOR A REPLACEMENT VERY HARD.

I rate this 2.2 an 8.5.
By jmac360 on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

Buying this car was a smart decision. Think of the CL as a dressed-up Accord. I love the distinctive styling. The back end is especially slick. I've experienced very few problems. Average MPG is 23. The 4cyl is enough pull for most if you go with the 5-speed manual. The brakes are kinda weak when compared to other luxury models. The turning radius is too wide. The ride is fairly sporty but not harsh. The interior is typical Honda – everything is in the right place. Not a cheap, but not luxurious. The front seats are nice and there's a lot of leg room. The back seat is fine for 2 people under 5’ 10’’.

Such a solid car
By ztiger93 on 09/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

It says a lot that the most difficult thing I've had to deal with in 6-1/2 years is a window motor. This car is not fast, but it's not meant to be (which saves on insurance). My next car will be another Acura for sure -- but not until the day comes that I need to add two more doors.

97 Acura 2.2 CL
By dilwin on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

I bought this car a month back and so far I've been very satisfied. The car looks great both inside (polished wood- like panelling) and outside and I admit that was the main reason I went for it. It drives great though the engine feels the strain when there are more than 3 occupants (it's a 4 cyl 2.2 L engine). It handles superbly and even though its a big car (it's as long as a taurus) it maneuvers like a smaller car. I've had no problems parking it in tight spaces. The a/c unit doesn't cool the air inside immediately on +90F days.

go 2,2cl!!!!!
By mark1 on 08/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

This is my second Acura - liked my original Integra very much, but the 2.2cl is sportier and more fun to drive. It is thoroughly reliable and quick to respond and easy to handle. I have only had the usual repairs, brake pads + replacing the timing belt at 90,000 miles.