Used 1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Acura CL Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Best vehicle I've ever owned/driven
By chimneyyo

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I bough this car with 160K on it, it's now at 173K. The previous owner abused this car and I'm currently in the process of getting it back to its former glory. Fun to drive, absolutely amazing sound system, decent on gas, decently quick, there's just so much to this car. But my favorite thing I discovered today. I was in an accident. A reckless driver rear ended me, I was at a stop, he was doing about 40mph. I drove away in that car. There's very little damage, more damage was done to his 2012 accord. The doctor at the ER said I should be in much worse shape but I'm fine. I don't know what that car's made of, but I fell in love all over again. Thank you, my little acura, for saving me today.

The sound system is the first, after that is the handling, how peppy it is, the comfort, and of course the safety. This car is durable.

Restyle the front and rear end. I personally find it to be pretty ugly. But because I'm behind the wheel I don't really care that much.

I really love this car
By allien88

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

Bought this car a few months ago with over 120,000 miles on it. The previous owner made some modifications (adjusted shifting, 18 in. rims, huge air intake, ) and it made the car so much livelier. the best part is starting the car... actually driving it is a dream the engine is a bit sluggish in the lower speeds but the car puts the driver in total control around 60 mph. The car is very powerful and graceful, its kinda ugly but its all that much more endearing. `

V-6 engine, v-tech bucket seats, exhaust, sound of air intake, heated seats

The transmission is slipping, it doesn't seem to be getting worse but the the power band seems to be mostly concentrated in the upper power ranges. this is a issue because I mainly drive in the city and frequent stops and starts are a headaches seeing as how the transmission only behaves properly when Im gassing the engine (burning money). The trade off is that Im ok with this because the car is a rocket and I love it.

Its all you'll ever need
By DJR

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I bought my CL 3.0 with around 70,000 miles on it...it currently has 160,000 miles now, and is just as strong as its ever been. Ive seen many reports of 97 models still running great in the 300k+ range. Its been as trouble free as our 2002 Accord. Replaced window motor, and brakes once. It has the reliability of any typical Honda, the luxury of a Lexus, the comfort of a lazy-boy and plenty of power, which we all like. The seats are roomy, and 2 adults can sit in the back without being too cramped. The Bose sound system has a decent quality sound. The 200 HP Vtech is fast and fun to drive but stepping on the pedal comes at a price. Unlike the Accords and Civics, it doesn't have the best MPG.

Heated seats, Bose premium stereo sound, the comfort, low outside noise- level, the strong acceleration, but most of all the reliability!! I would never hesitate to buy another one, even with high mileage.

Cant think of a lot of changes I'd make except of course a 5-speed transmission and a more sporty exterior design.

13 Years & Still Going Strong
By AJohnson

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I brought this car brand new in March of 1997 and it has proven to be the best purchase I have ever made. Talk about reliable! And even close to 13 years old the pick-up on this car is great and still just as fun to drive. Even after purchasing a new car last Fall still hanging on to it. Many offers to buy so that won't be an issue when I am finally ready to let go. GREAT car!

Realibity. The Quick acceleration. Lots of power and loaded with upgrades

1997 Acura 3.0CL Premium
By Mir

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

Iv bought my CL back in 2003 with 43,000 miles, its now 2008 and i have about 121,000 miles on it, the car is definitely fun to drive, the J30a1 3.0 liter VTEC engine produces great power in such a light car, the only problems I ran into were alternator at early age, battery, starter other than that the EGR valve was replaced through an Acura check engine light recall. I now have 121,000 and my transmission has begun to slip on me.

3.0 VTEC engine