Used 1997 Acura CL Coupe Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Acura CL Coupe - Consumer Reviews

1997 Acura CL Coupe

View reviews for a specific CL model:

My beloved CL 3.0
By hondalover41

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 2dr Coupe

I sold my Acura CL 3.0 in March of 2015 to buy the new more practical Honda CRV EX-L. I bought this car new in 1997 and didn't realize how much I loved it, until it was gone. At 198,500 miles and 18+ years it was time because I felt it was becoming less dependable, and much bigger repair bills were on the way. The day I bought it I walked into Acura to buy the 4 cylinder 2.2 CL with cloth seats, and drove away with the much more powerful six cylinder 3.0 CL, with heated leather seats, lots of other goodies, and the super cool alloy wheels. It was a blast, and I'm so glad I did it. Best looking interior I have ever seen in a car. Even now! Great job Acura &Honda.
As of May 2016, I still see this car around town from time to time. They guy who bought it from my mechanic loves it, but he doesn't take care of it like I did. The last time saw it parked on the street, I had never seen it so dirty. Today I am still glad that went out and bought the new 2015 Honda CRV. It makes a lot more sense for me in this time of my life. BUT.......... if then I had extra parking space the old Acura it would probably be sitting in it, right next to my new Honda CRV.
I hope I never miss another car like I did this one!

Best vehicle I've ever owned/driven
By chimneyyo

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I bough this car with 160K on it, it's now at 173K. The previous owner abused this car and I'm currently in the process of getting it back to its former glory. Fun to drive, absolutely amazing sound system, decent on gas, decently quick, there's just so much to this car. But my favorite thing I discovered today. I was in an accident. A reckless driver rear ended me, I was at a stop, he was doing about 40mph. I drove away in that car. There's very little damage, more damage was done to his 2012 accord. The doctor at the ER said I should be in much worse shape but I'm fine. I don't know what that car's made of, but I fell in love all over again. Thank you, my little acura, for saving me today.

The sound system is the first, after that is the handling, how peppy it is, the comfort, and of course the safety. This car is durable.

Restyle the front and rear end. I personally find it to be pretty ugly. But because I'm behind the wheel I don't really care that much.

Absolutely the very best!
By bernicee

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

It took no thinking when I asked my family at the dinner table, of all the cars we have ever had what is or was your favorite one?
The Acura 2.2CL by far!!!
In fact it has come time to sell the car and I cant even talk about it with out crying...lol!
(true story) :/
Anyway if your considering buying one BUY IT!
I guarantee you will be 100% HAPPY!
Yes I said guarantee...! YOU WILL, NO JOKE!
Have a wonderful day...

comfort, sunroof has never leaked or gave us problems, big trunk, fun fun fun to drive, good on gas, just plain looks good, feels good and runs great...

I seriously cant even think of one..lol!

I really love this car
By allien88

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

Bought this car a few months ago with over 120,000 miles on it. The previous owner made some modifications (adjusted shifting, 18 in. rims, huge air intake, ) and it made the car so much livelier. the best part is starting the car... actually driving it is a dream the engine is a bit sluggish in the lower speeds but the car puts the driver in total control around 60 mph. The car is very powerful
and graceful, its kinda ugly but its all that much more endearing. `

V-6 engine, v-tech bucket seats, exhaust, sound of air intake, heated seats

The transmission is slipping, it doesn't seem to be getting worse but the the power band seems to be mostly concentrated in the upper power ranges. this is a issue because I mainly drive in the city and frequent stops and starts are a headaches seeing as how the transmission only behaves properly when Im gassing the engine (burning money). The trade off is that Im ok with this because the car is a rocket and I love it.

Its all you'll ever need
By DJR

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I bought my CL 3.0 with around 70,000 miles on it...it currently has 160,000 miles now, and is just as strong as its ever been. Ive seen many reports of 97 models still running great in the 300k+ range. Its been as trouble free as our 2002 Accord. Replaced window motor, and brakes once. It has the reliability of any typical Honda, the luxury of a Lexus, the comfort of a lazy-boy and plenty of power, which we all like. The seats are roomy, and 2 adults can sit in the back without being too cramped. The Bose sound system has a decent quality sound. The 200 HP Vtech is fast and fun to drive but stepping on the pedal comes at a price. Unlike the Accords and Civics, it doesn't have the best MPG.

Heated seats, Bose premium stereo sound, the comfort, low outside noise- level, the strong acceleration, but most of all the reliability!! I would never hesitate to buy another one, even with high mileage.

Cant think of a lot of changes I'd make except of course a 5-speed transmission and a more sporty exterior design.