1997 Acura CL Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:
Absolutely the very best!
By bernicee on 04/05/14 06:31 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

It took no thinking when I asked my family at the dinner table, of all the cars we have ever had what is or was your favorite one? The Acura 2.2CL by far!!! In fact it has come time to sell the car and I cant even talk about it with out crying...lol! (true story) :/ Anyway if your considering buying one BUY IT! I guarantee you will be 100% HAPPY! Yes I said guarantee...! YOU WILL, NO JOKE! Have a wonderful day...

I really love this car
By allien88 on 02/18/13 19:09 PM (PST)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

Bought this car a few months ago with over 120,000 miles on it. The previous owner made some modifications (adjusted shifting, 18 in. rims, huge air intake, ) and it made the car so much livelier. the best part is starting the car... actually driving it is a dream the engine is a bit sluggish in the lower speeds but the car puts the driver in total control around 60 mph. The car is very powerful and graceful, its kinda ugly but its all that much more endearing. `

Its all you'll ever need
By DJR on 02/12/10 11:40 AM (PST)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I bought my CL 3.0 with around 70,000 miles on it...it currently has 160,000 miles now, and is just as strong as its ever been. Ive seen many reports of 97 models still running great in the 300k+ range. Its been as trouble free as our 2002 Accord. Replaced window motor, and brakes once. It has the reliability of any typical Honda, the luxury of a Lexus, the comfort of a lazy-boy and plenty of power, which we all like. The seats are roomy, and 2 adults can sit in the back without being too cramped. The Bose sound system has a decent quality sound. The 200 HP Vtech is fast and fun to drive but stepping on the pedal comes at a price. Unlike the Accords and Civics, it doesn't have the best MPG.

13 Years & Still Going Strong
By AJohnson on 02/04/10 19:10 PM (PST)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I brought this car brand new in March of 1997 and it has proven to be the best purchase I have ever made. Talk about reliable! And even close to 13 years old the pick-up on this car is great and still just as fun to drive. Even after purchasing a new car last Fall still hanging on to it. Many offers to buy so that won't be an issue when I am finally ready to let go. GREAT car!

Jewel of a Ride
By Len Morgan on 07/20/09 19:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

Bought my stick 2.2 a year old with only about 8k miles. Only 65k NOW, due to driving 3 other cars, incl. a CRX and Prelude. (Certified Honda nut!). No significant maintenance or driveability problems, even after getting run off a mountain road into a big (life-saving) snowbank in December.

Amazing little car
By Catx on 05/24/09 13:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

I bought my 2.2. CL with 126k, two years ago. It is now at 164k, after a few road trips from California to Texas and back. Not to mention a dozen trips from Mcallen to Houston. I've done all the regular services and the 150k major service. I have not had one problem, it starts and is ready to go at anytime. Great car, good fuel economy, and very reliable.

Get one!
By kalzone on 05/19/09 07:06 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 2dr Coupe

I've always been a VW/Audi guy and recently bought a used 1997 CL 2.2 for about $1500. Best money I ever spent. I can't believe I got all these option in one package. Engine's good. AC, power seats, sunroof, ABS, radio all work great. Plus it's great on gas. It doesn't corner like an Audi or a VW but close. Has lotsa room and is built tight. VTEC engine performs great and literally sips gas. Why didn't I discover Acuras sooner? Only thing I changed was a ball joint. You can pick these CL's up now for about 2grand and you wont be disappointed. It's a mixture of luxury and performance. It's not a Beemer but is much better than an Accord. My advice, get one!

1997 Acura 3.0CL Premium
By Mir on 11/21/08 09:04 AM (PST)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

Iv bought my CL back in 2003 with 43,000 miles, its now 2008 and i have about 121,000 miles on it, the car is definitely fun to drive, the J30a1 3.0 liter VTEC engine produces great power in such a light car, the only problems I ran into were alternator at early age, battery, starter other than that the EGR valve was replaced through an Acura check engine light recall. I now have 121,000 and my transmission has begun to slip on me.

My 97 Acura
By James Strosnider on 10/31/08 12:00 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 3.0 2dr Coupe

Great car. I have had many years of enjoyment with this car. It has been fairly inexpensive to maintain and extremely dependable. It,s looks have held up fine, as the vehicle did not change that much over the years. Overall, a very good buy for the price.

I love this car.
By GB on 02/06/07 12:45 PM (PST)

1997 Acura CL Coupe 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

This car is very reliable. It's also very fun to drive, good on gas, low maintenance, even better when you the change the oil on schedule and keep it clean.