1997 Acura CL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:
I really love this car
By allien88 on 02/18/13 19:09 PM (PST)

1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

Bought this car a few months ago with over 120,000 miles on it. The previous owner made some modifications (adjusted shifting, 18 in. rims, huge air intake, ) and it made the car so much livelier. the best part is starting the car... actually driving it is a dream the engine is a bit sluggish in the lower speeds but the car puts the driver in total control around 60 mph. The car is very powerful and graceful, its kinda ugly but its all that much more endearing. `

Its all you'll ever need
By DJR on 02/12/10 11:40 AM (PST)

1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I bought my CL 3.0 with around 70,000 miles on it...it currently has 160,000 miles now, and is just as strong as its ever been. Ive seen many reports of 97 models still running great in the 300k+ range. Its been as trouble free as our 2002 Accord. Replaced window motor, and brakes once. It has the reliability of any typical Honda, the luxury of a Lexus, the comfort of a lazy-boy and plenty of power, which we all like. The seats are roomy, and 2 adults can sit in the back without being too cramped. The Bose sound system has a decent quality sound. The 200 HP Vtech is fast and fun to drive but stepping on the pedal comes at a price. Unlike the Accords and Civics, it doesn't have the best MPG.

13 Years & Still Going Strong
By AJohnson on 02/04/10 19:10 PM (PST)

1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I brought this car brand new in March of 1997 and it has proven to be the best purchase I have ever made. Talk about reliable! And even close to 13 years old the pick-up on this car is great and still just as fun to drive. Even after purchasing a new car last Fall still hanging on to it. Many offers to buy so that won't be an issue when I am finally ready to let go. GREAT car!

1997 Acura 3.0CL Premium
By Mir on 11/21/08 09:04 AM (PST)

1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

Iv bought my CL back in 2003 with 43,000 miles, its now 2008 and i have about 121,000 miles on it, the car is definitely fun to drive, the J30a1 3.0 liter VTEC engine produces great power in such a light car, the only problems I ran into were alternator at early age, battery, starter other than that the EGR valve was replaced through an Acura check engine light recall. I now have 121,000 and my transmission has begun to slip on me.

Sporty, fast sports car
By Peter on 12/10/06 10:07 AM (PST)

1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

The Acura 3.0 CL has everything going for it. It has a 3.0 liter 200 horsepower V6 engine and has many features. Its quick to accelerate and pass even with the standard automatic transmission (only transmission avail. for the 3.0). The interior is luxurious and may remind you of a beefed up Honda Accord. I like how even now, in 2006-2007, I still get compliments telling me how nice my car is, even though it is nearly 10 years old. The styling is hate it or love it and I absolutely love it. It looks contemporary and better than many cars now.

Awesome car
By Lucien on 10/03/05 17:04 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I have had my car for 5 years. Looks as good as new cars. 1997 design is better than the newer CL's on the market. With regular maintenance and upkeep, had no problems with this car. Best purchase I could have made. Will stick with Acura for a while. They make GREAT cars.

my car
By KINO on 09/05/05 19:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

Love my 3.0 CL. I wish it was a manual tranny though. Fuel consumption is much more efficient than my last car. Always a soft smooth ride, handling is great, the look is slick. Just love this car and now that I'm going on 150k miles, it stills performs like it was new.

love it
By Max on 06/23/05 14:19 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

owned this car from new, very reliable. 73k miles, done all maintenance...warranty replaced computer in first year after erratic cold idle. michelin tires dry rotted after 36k, same happened to next michelins. continental extreme contacts at almost half the price seem great after 7k miles. after tune-up at 7 years 57k the emission system needed warranty cleaning. driver window motor replaced a few years ago. everything else done was routine maintenance, never a problem, great car. prefer honda dealer for work over acura for all reasons. will need muffler soon, parts are expensive.

Excellent Car!
By Acura Lover on 06/16/05 13:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

This is the perfect alternative to a BMW 3 series...in price and performance...I bought this car in November 2004 and have put 6000 trouble- free miles on it...I bought the car with a very low 43,213 miles on it which attracted me. I looked at the car and it was the perfect color inside/out (Gray Leather/Silver). What pleases me is the heated seats, excellent Bose CD system, Leather and comfortable seats. The automatic climate control is efficient and works properly. Performance is a huge plus in this car. There is a 3.0 liter engine under the hood and the dual pipes out of the rear end complement its 200 horses.

Excellent Car
By Bunny on 05/19/05 14:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I like the fast engine and the nice styling and interior ... I love the transmission and definitely the relability. Clocking this 3.0 with 200 horsepower to 60 takes only 7.2 seconds ... which I love.