Luxury Automakers Jostle for Spotlight at New York International Auto Show, Reports Edmunds' InsideLine.com
SANTA MONICA, Calif. — April 5, 2012 — The 2011 New York Auto Show, this year will feature luxury automakers jockeying for the hearts and minds consumers.
"With the possible exception of the new 2013 Dodge Viper, this year's New York Auto Show will be dominated by news and reveals by the luxury players," said Edmunds.com Editor in Chief Scott Oldham. "The heavy presence of luxury brands is another sign that the auto industry is quickly rediscovering its swagger thanks to a strong first quarter this year that delivered U.S. sales performances beyond anyone's expectations."
Some of the vehicles highlighting the impressive roster at the New York International Auto Show include:
- 2013 BMW X1 — the X1 went on sale across Europe in 2010 and originally was scheduled to reach U.S. dealers in late 2010. But the German automaker, citing strong European sales and a weak dollar-euro exchange rate, last year put the U.S. launch of the X1 on indefinite hold, electing eventually to bring the vehicle here as part of a mid-cycle refreshening for 2013
- 2013 Lincoln MKZ — An extensive redesign of the cabin includes premium-grade leather with wood trim, a new instrument panel, a multilevel console, a pair of LCD screens, air filtration and a choice of entertainment systems, including a 700-watt THX II audio system with 14 speakers.
- 2013 Acura RLX — The new flagship sedan replaces the RL and will be larger than the current car, with best-in-class legroom. InsideLine.com says that the new car will have the cabin space of a BMW 7 Series sedan with the agility of a 5 Series.
- 2013 Cadillac SRX — The SRX gets a modest mid-cycle facelift. But the most notable addition is CUE, Cadillac's new infotainment system that integrates smartphones and other mobile devices with voice recognition and an 8-inch LCD touch-sensitive screen. Active noise cancellation is another new-for-2013 feature.
- 2013 Lexus ES Sedan — In a brief statement, Lexus said the new ES "introduces a progressive new design featuring the Lexus signature spindle grille and a new dynamic driving experience."
- 2013 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class — Mercedes-Benz has lavished much attention on the interior of the GL-Class, which now features a 2-3-2 seating layout with a power-operated third row and optional power access system to the rear. There is more head-, shoulder and elbow room in all three rows.
For all the news and updates from the 2012 NYIAS, please visit the auto show page at Edmunds' InsideLine.com
About Edmunds.com, Inc. (http://www.edmunds.com/help/about/index.html)
Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive information, launched in 1995 as the first automotive information Web site. Its acclaimed mobile site, Edmunds.com Android App and five-star Edmunds iPhone and iPad apps make car pricing and other research tools available for car shoppers at dealerships and on the go. Its automotive enthusiast web site, InsideLine.com, is the most-read car publication of its kind. Its highly regarded mobile site and iPhone app features the wireless Web's most comprehensive gallery of automotive photos and videos. Edmunds.com Inc. is headquartered in Santa Monica, California, and maintains a satellite office in suburban Detroit. Follow Edmunds.com on Twitter@edmunds and fan Edmunds.com on Facebook.