Edmunds.com Outlines Ten Things Teens Should Know About Cars and Driving
SANTA MONICA, Calif. — September 30, 2011 — Does your newly-licensed teenager know what to do when pulled over by a police officer? Or does he or she know how to change a flat tire or what to do immediately after a car accident? These are just a few of the scenarios covered by Edmunds.com in its new feature, "10 Things Teens Should Know About Cars and Driving" (http://www.edmunds.com/driving-tips/10-things-teens-should-know-about-cars-and-driving.html).
"Even after new drivers pass their road tests, there are still many 'rules of the road' that they need to learn," said Carroll Lachnit, features editor at Edmunds.com. "We strongly encourage parents to sit down with their teen drivers and make sure they understand how to deal with each one of these scenarios."
Other driving situations called out and explained by Edmunds.com include:
- How to deal with a friend who is about to drive under the influence
- What to do when the "check engine" light comes on
- How to get an honest quote for an automotive repair
- How to drive in rain and snow
All ten of Edmunds.com's tips for teenage drivers can be found at http://www.edmunds.com/driving-tips/10-things-teens-should-know-about-cars-and-driving.html.
Edmunds.com has also published a guest column by psychology professor Dr. Laurence Steinberg who says that parents should enforce the following rules with their teenage drivers:
- Do not allow your teenager to drive with other teen passengers until he or she is experienced behind the wheel.
- Limit driving at night and in unsafe conditions such as bad weather.
- Do not allow your teenager to talk or otherwise use any phone, smartphone or PDA while driving.
- Set an example for your teenager by practicing safe driving behavior yourself.
- Make it clear that driving is a privilege and be prepared to withdraw that privilege if necessary.
Dr. Steinberg's full piece on advice for parents on teen driving can be found at http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/expert-advice-for-parents-about-teen-driving.html.
About Edmunds.com, Inc. (http://www.edmunds.com/help/about/index.html)
Edmunds.com Inc. publishes Web sites that empower, engage and educate automotive consumers, enthusiasts and insiders. Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive information, launched in 1995 as the first automotive information Web site and hosts the most established automotive community online. Its mobile site, accessible from any smartphone at www.edmunds.com, makes car pricing and other research tools available for car shoppers at dealerships and otherwise on the go. InsideLine.com is the most-read automotive enthusiast Web site. Its mobile site, accessible from any smartphone at www.insideline.com, features the wireless Web's highest quality car photos and videos. AutoObserver.com provides insightful automotive industry commentary and analysis. Edmunds.com Inc. is headquartered in Santa Monica, California, and maintains a satellite office in suburban Detroit. Follow Edmunds.com on Twitter@edmunds and fan Edmunds.com on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/edmunds.